Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 638 - Feb 26, 2010

Unfortunately, Kevin tested positive for MRSA again. I am guessing that it took this long for it to show up from the pus they took from Kevin's head because it was from the 2/16 culture that was done. I guess I should be glad that we at least know what the bug is now, but I really just want all of this to go away.

Today was really kinda a yucky day. Kevin just hasn't been feeling well today and there was hardly any joking or even wakefulness. He just slept most of the day and it worries me some. Tonight's nurse and I discussed all of the meds he is on and we are both concerned that he is on too many now. He is taking over 50 pills a day and it's just way too much. He is just so upset when he gets a cup full of pills to take so many times throughout the day.

So I want to sit down with someone either this weekend or Monday and go over each and every one of them. Hopefully we can eliminate some of them.

We did have a horrible episode today too. Kevin coughed when he took a drink and it went down the wrong tube. Honestly - I have NEVER seen that look on his face. It was utter terror; like he thought he was going to die. He just started grabbing his head and screaming and he had tears running down his face. I was utterly petrified. The nurse came running with an IV pain push and I was never so glad to see her!

Sometimes...man, sometimes this is pure hell! Mostly we can handle this, but I just hate seeing him hurt all the time.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry that all of you have to go through all of this and yes I bet it seems like pure hell. Just know that you all have so very many praying for all of you that things will get better. Josh asked me to have you tell Kevin hi and he is thinking about him. (unsure if he will remember him or not) Sending lots of prayers.
debbie

Unknown said...

My heartfelt prayers continue for you all. I pray, not only for Kevin's swift recovery from this latest set back, but for strength for you, as you find your own legs again to keep moving forward. Here in blog land, there are no magic wands, or sudden revelations of how to help. But the prayers and strong wishes are there for you. You are so loved. Always

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Could they give him most of the med's through the iv? 50? Geez! What are the different pills for? Kevin sure has a lot of strength to put up with everything he has to do. I can hardly get our son to take a vitamin. He is a true soldier and goes through so much. It takes someone like him and you to put up with all of this. You are very strong people. You've been through more than anyone should ever go through and you are doing a fantastic job!
Give Kevin a hug for us- wish we could take away any pain he has. He goes through so much and he doesn't need pain to go along with it.
Hugs to you! I hope you have a better day.
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Like the others i extend my thoughts and prayers daily for you and kevin. You know how lucky you are to have Kevin, but yet it is bittersweet. Day 638 is a lot different than, let's say Day 20, but different and better are two different things. Many of us feel so helpless to do anything to help you on this very emotional roller coaster. There are no words, no magic formula, no knight in shining armor who can get you and Kevin out of this. It's become the every day struggle of life that these 638 days have been so different than the first 19 or 20 ears of kevin's life. Wish one of us had the magic solution. It's not anything physical that you really need - like resources or money etc - - - it's something that is beyond all of us and in all of us that you need. My thoughts, prayers are with you Leslie. Know we all care about you and Kevin. Hope you can find peace of mind and that Kevin will be the trooper he has always been to fight....Hallie

Anonymous said...

There's not much more that needs to be said, all the fellow bloggers have said it so well. Thoughts and prayers today and every day

Anonymous said...

Some days life seems like it's one step forward and two steps back;but it's those steps forward that show us just how strong we can be. Kevin (and you)have been true examples of strength.I cannot
imagine the daily routines of meds,therapies,doctors appointments and much more,but by reading your blog I realize that
if needed we can find strength within ourself that we didn't know we had. I pray that Kevin's pain eases and that his doctors are able to wean him off any unnecessary meds.Stay strong and keep doing what you've been doing...it's worked this far.

Anonymous said...

Prayers continuing...
A.

Long-time RN said...

Others have already expressed many of my thoughts. Sure hope Kevin's med regime can be reduced. So very sorry to read the MRSA has returned. Thoughts and prayers for you and Kevin. Onward in strength.

aggie said...

Just want to let you know I am thinking of you and Kevin...hang in there, friend!

Jessica said...

That's a shame Kevin has MRSA, but I guess it was too good to be true that he had no infection with all that pus. My heart goes out to him and I'm praying that his nerves will heal quickly so he's not in so much pain all the time.

I hope today was a better day. My thoughts and prayers are with you both as you endure and persevere. Take care.