Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 618 - Feb 6, 2010

I took Kevin to the emergency room again today. The area that the drain came out of (in his head) back in November had a huge blister over it when we got up this morning. For days now, I had been watching it build up and today it finally started 'leaking'. So I took him in to have a culture done. I know it can take up to 3 days for certain bacterias to show up, so we should know something by Tuesday.

Oddly enough we were at the emergency room the same time my dad was. His stitches came undone and his stomach was gaping open. They restitched him and sent him home.

So after we all left the hospital, we went to my Mom and Dad's and had dinner. That's about it for today.

I did want to answer Kathy in IA's question. She asked if Kevin remembered everything by looking at the boxes (in the store) and the answer is yes. Kevin remembers everything by visual stimulation. EVERYTHING. He only struggles when you try to jog his memory through words. Even people that are close to him, but that we don't see all the time, he will forget who they are. As soon as he sees them though, he remembers everything about them.

Sometimes though, he will remember someone by an event. For example Janet who lives here in Tampa - but we have only seen while we are in Texas. When I mention Janet, I have to say "remember the woman with the long blond hair that we went to Chick-Fil-A with that day?". As soon as I say that - he knows exactly who she is. (BTW Janet - I am so glad Matt's surgery went well this time. I will call you soon!)

I can't just say 'remember Melissa from work' though. We did that tonight because a woman Kevin worked with at Riverside sent me a message on Facebook, but it worked out because I just showed him her picture. As soon as he saw her face he got all excited.

Kevin, for the most part, remembers almost everything. It's just names and things like that. Even the names of objects. He doesn't know the name of a plate or a fridge or the washer. But he knows what each of those things are and what they do. It's so strange, huh?

And to sign off - to all my Western PA friends - I feel for you guys! 24 inches of snow!! It just proved to me that I did the right thing though. Kevin needed to get to a hospital today and I could have never gotten him there if we were still in PA. This may be a very lonely existence, living in Florida - but at least I can take care of Kev without worrying about snow and ice.

6 comments:

Jan said...

As I looked out my door yesterday at the snow piled high on my road, no cars at all, I thought of you and Kevin and how you'd be in trouble if you lived here. I'm so glad your parents are there too, can't imagine how torn you'd be if they were suffering their recent health problems in a different state. You made good choices, Leslie.

Anonymous said...

Oh my- all of you were in the emergency room at the same time. I'm glad your dad was able to get restitched and pray that Kevin's results are good.
I'm soooo glad Kevin remembers everything by seeing it! To have to relearn all of those things as well would be something. That's huge that he knows all of it, people when he sees them, etc. So really his memory is all still there, just doesn't put words with everything yet. I'm not good with names either so we share that! :) It's still amazing what he knows and how he lives, jokes, etc after what he went through. I'm so thankful Kevin is still in there. He must make you guys laugh all the time. He's so funny- we love the videos!
I hope today is a good one!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

A good thing you missed the snowstorm!
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I love the scenery here in PA right after a snow,but an hour later when the white snow is brown and the driving conditions are terrible I long to be a snowbird that lives the winter months in Florida.Florida was a wise choice for Kevin right now as he continues to heal from all his health problems.We all look forward to the arrival of summer and the possibility of another hometown visit from our hero and his family.

Cathy M said...

Hi,

Interesting about Kevin's memory. I have a question. If you decide on one word to drill him on throughout the day, like "plate" or "fork", could he learn one word a day or every other day if you and Kevin focused on just one word? If he had "plate" down pat and then the next day, you kept reminding him of that word, would he retain that word from that point on?

Was that clear as mud?

Cathy M

Jessica said...

I'm glad that both Kevin and your dad were taken care of! That appointment with Kevin's new neurologist can't come soon enough.

That's amazing about Kevin's memory. Praise God he can remember so much by looking at things. Let's pray that someday his brain will start making the connection without needing to look at something.

I'll be thinking of you and praying for Kevin and your dad. Take care.