Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 630 - Feb 18, 2010

I did something really hard tonight. I left Kevin at the hospital for the night and I am at the Fisher House all by myself. I discussed it with Kevin first and when he said he didn't mind, I then discussed everything with the nurses and they were all happy to work with me on the separation anxiety situation.

So at midnight, I left. I had to chuckle because I wasn't even past the nurses station (which is right outside his door) and he was already calling the nurse. I honestly have to attend to his needs and wants at least 200 times a night. I so feel for the nursing staff, lol.

We'll also see if he calls me tonight. I had to run to Wal-mart earlier this afternoon for Pop-Tarts and he called me twice while I was gone.

I guess we'll see, huh? Maybe he will surprise me!

And before I go, here is a photo of Kevin right before his surgery. He is with his WFRC (wonderful federal recovery coordinator, lol)


But now I am going to totally ditch the blog and truly go to sleep. Uninterrupted sleep. Can you imagine? I am so excited...

7 comments:

Tracey from Pgh. said...

I hope you were able to get some much needed uninterrupted sleep, Leslie. You were probably so excited about it, you weren't able to relax!

sherri said...

Sleep well,Leslie.If anyone needs and deserves a good night's rest, it's you. It's probably a good thing for Kevin as well to be separated from mom for short periods of time, so he sees that he is able to manage on his own. I'm anxious to hear how the nurses made out. They may be begging you to stay tonight lol. Had to chuckle when you said his buzzer was ringing before you got to the end of the hall. Love you.

Cathy M said...

Will be curious how things went at the hospital. I really hope you and Kevin can work on the separation issues. Wouldn't that be wonderful? I tend to believe that things happen for reasons and maybe this will be an opportunity to work on this separation issue. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hope you got a good night of sleep!
A.

Anne V. said...

Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleeve of care...I hope you had a restful evening, Leslie. I'm keeping Kevin, you and your family in my best thoughts, as always.

Love, Anne

Long-time RN said...

I'm with all the above folks-hope you got a good night's sleep! This may be a good time to work on separation anxiety. Maybe the nursing staff will be constructive in helping set limits and creating new habits.

Take good care of you, Leslie!

Jessica said...

I think it's great that Kevin was even agreeable to the idea, especially after major surgery! That's very encouraging and hope it worked out for you both. I've been thinking about you both today and will continue praying for Kevin's speedy recovery.