Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 629 - Feb 17, 2010

We are in a normal room now - out of ICU. Kevin has been doing very well, although he is in a lot of pain. No surprise there, I guess.

So it turns out that he wasn't leaking CSF as I had been told, but he was draining some of the infection from his head. We still don't know what bacteria has infected him as that can take up to 3 days. I sure hope it's just some minor bug and nothing hard to get rid of.

Unfortunately, that spot on the side of his forehead that I was worried about came wide open while he was in surgery. The neurosurgeon called in a plastic surgeon, but they decided not to worry about Kevin's appearance and just find a way to get it closed. This meant that they had to pull the skin taught from wherever they could pull it to get it to cover the large area. This means that he is unable to shut his left eye now and his skin is really tight.

My heart is just breaking for him.

One good thing (?) is that Kevin was nauseous late this afternoon and they gave him medication for it and it has knocked him on his butt. He has been sleeping for 6 hours already and I hope it continues through the night. We did have a couple bouts where he woke up completely out of it and we had to call the doc in, but she said it is a normal side effect to this medication. It just scared me because it was a blast from the horrible past.

I did take advantage of his sleep though and took a nice nap myself.

And I am going to quickly answer just a few questions and then read for a little while. First, to everyone - thanks for keeping my dad in your thoughts. He is doing somewhat ok, but it's going to be a rough road.

We also found out yesterday that they have indeed found a mass inside of my mother. She is going tomorrow for a biopsy.

And my sister and her husband were in a car accident the night before last. From what I hear, they are both ok.

Forget about 'when it rains it pours' - we are in the middle of a hurricane!

Jessica - you asked if Kevin has been on antibiotics for a while and the answer is yes - for 5 months now. We think it is partly why things weren't showing up on any blood work and tests that were done. He also had no 'real' signs of infection.

Hallie - you mentioned a functional MRI and if I remember correctly - you can't do an MRI on a patient with a shunt. I believe it throws the shunt out of whack, but that may not be the right reason.

There are a few more questions/comments, but most of them pertain to finding someone to spend time with Kevin. It's kind of a moot point right now, but I will say that because Kevin isn't as healthy as most of us, for now I was more looking for someone paid and insured for the trial run of this endeavor. Once I see that it works for Kevin to have someone come in, then I can go out into the community and have some kids or military personnel come in sometimes. As I said though - for now it's nothing we need to worry about. I think we are going to be here a good, long while.

And now I am going to leave you with a picture of Kevin from yesterday right after his surgery. He was much happier then because his pain was more managed.

12 comments:

Alison said...

Love the smile on Kevin. He is one hell of a fighter and he will get through this. I hope the results for the bacteria culture come back soon and it's a minor bug that can get kicked out of the way quickly. Healing thoughts and prayers are coming your way in spades -- for Kevin, for your parents and family, and for you.

Gretchen said...

Oh it's so good to see him smiling. I hope they get a better handle on his pain soon, poor guy!! I'm still praying for him - I've been thinking about you two all day. Love you, Les.

Anonymous said...

His picture was much better than I could imagine. Hopefully, he will be the Kevin we have all grown to love and recover quickly. Your life story is like the snow in western PA - - -it just won't stop! Understand the expression- shoveling snow in the middle of a snow storm. I'm sure that is what you feel like and that is what western PA is doing literally...
I'm going to check it out with our MRI techs...if a shunt can be scanned...since the plate is gone. Never thought about his plate before, but that may have been the reason it could not be done....but that's a long way down the road. He needs to get better and get rested and fight this bug that has him infected.
Thouhgts and prayers to you and your family. Please keep us posted about your mom - - -I pray it is something simple, treatable, and benign. Keep shoveling Leslie! Hallie

Anonymous said...

Wow what a tough road you have been on...I pray that you get some good luck. As for the shunt it can be scanned, most plates are titanium and can be scanned as well. The only problem with a the shunt is that some reprogram in an MRI from what I know Kevin has one that does not change unless he received a different one in the past year. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this reassuring picture of Kevin.
Prayers continuing...
A.

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see Kevin's picture of him smiling. Thank you for posting it!
We continue praying for all of your family as well as you Leslie.
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Jodi said...

He looks great! I am glad all went well with the surgery other then the spot on the side of his head opening up. His smile warms my heart!

Your ENTIRE family are in my thoughts and prayers Leslie. Hang in the lady.

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

sherri said...

Kevin looks much better than I was expecting. He's such a fighter, as are you. Sorry to hear about your mom,but will pray that everything works out for the best there and that your dad keeps getting stronger. Thank heavens your sis and husband are okay. You're right,the rain has become a hurricane in your life,but I believe that you,Kevin,and your family will weather this storm as you have in the past. My thoughts and prayers are always with you. Take care. Love you.

Grant Grdunac said...

if you guys are gunna be at your place in FL next week me and my bud might be coming down around that ways....if so id really like to visit...

Long-time RN said...

Boy oh boy, lots of news. So sorry to hear about your mom. So many medical issues cropping up in your family in such a short time span has got to be tough. Hang in there, Leslie.

Kevin looks serenely medicated. ;-)
Thought and prayers for strength and healing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Les,

I am relieved to see Kevin managing his surgery. He is so strong!!! His will to get well just amazing!!!!

You, too, are my hero...I want to call you, but I feel like I would be intruding...You have so much to deal with right now (and every prior day before all of this).

Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers...

Miss you...and LOVE you!!!

Kristen

Jessica said...

Glad to see Kevin's smiling face and to know he's doing well, in spite of all the setbacks. I hope the doctors will be able to keep his pain under control and get rid of that infection once and for all!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'll be thinking of you both and praying for the best as you wait for the biopsy results.

Take care. You, Kevin, and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.