Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 622 - Feb 10, 201

I am ecstatic because we went to see the new neurosurgeon today and I REALLY liked him. He was extremely kind to Kevin and he also took the time to explain so much to both Kevin and I. He even went over the CT scans with both of us and he showed Kevin where his brain was gone. It was the first time Kevin physically saw that instead of a circle showing the whole brain, the left side is cut off about an inch or so in from where it would normally be. He also explained all the 'dead' spots. I think most of it went over Kevin's head, but it was still nice to have him explain it all to us.

So he feels good about things with Kevin, but he did say that Kevin needs to not touch the two spots on his head where the skin is bad. He worries about the skin breaking open and meningitis setting in. So for now, I am trying my hardest to keep Kevin's fingers off of his head. Not an easy feat, I tell ya!

It was also interesting to see the doctor ask Kevin to do certain things and how Kevin responded. Like when he asked for Kevin to stick his tongue out, Kevin held his arm up. When he asked for a thumbs up, Kev opened his mouth. Kev just really struggles with those kinds of things, but we always have to focus on the good, right?

So we go back in a month for another CT scan and then directly to the surgeon's. We will have a better understanding of things at that point, but I was told that Kevin does not have an infection. The culture came back clear! YAY!!

And I am going to sign off now. My brother is staying here for a few days and although both he and Kevin were teasing me because I scrapbook - they are both sitting here looking through each one of them. It's a nice family moment and I want to enjoy it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you liked the new neurosurgeon!!! :) It's nice that he explained things to both of you and also showed the CT scans.
Yeah!!!! It's wonderful news about not having an infection. I'm so glad. What a relief!
Enjoy your time with your brother! :)
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!
Janet :)

Anonymous said...

Great news!
A.

Jodi said...

That is great news Les!! I am so glad you like him, that is very important! Glad no infections too. Great news all the way around!

I have to tell you, I had a dream about you, Kev, and Breezy last night. You came to visit and we had a picnic at the park. It was so real. I hope to be able to meet you all in person soon.

Enjoy your brothers visit.

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Good to hear about the new doc. I am wondering if at some point he will do a functional MRI on Kevin. This is state of the art imaging in which the patient is shown pictures while being scanned and the image shows which part of the brain is involved with processing the picture. When my son had a concussion, they wanted to do it on him and also my other son, who never had a concussion. I know there are several places here that are doing them. Not sure if it would be diagnostic, but it would certainly be interesting...just a thought.
I'm glad things are going well. Things seem to be quiet in your life right now; probably a joy. You seem to go in a cycle. I hope Kevin stays well and can really benefit from this new guy.
When I read that you wish you had someone to come take care of Kevin and play Xbox, I think how awesome it would be if my son could meet him. He is 20 and has graduated from nursing school. he was doing icu nursing but decided to change gears (to my dismay) and is now nursing in a max security prison. he wants to make a difference in someone's life. oh well,it would have been a great match but the miles between are too many. But, you should look at nursing schools and see if you can find someone who would "foot the bill". Many, many young men are going into nursing. It is a great profession.
Just some thoughts.
Continued prayers for you all.
Hallie