Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 634 - Feb 22, 2010

Kevin had the drain pulled out of his head this afternoon. I am so hoping that there will be no fluid build-up. I just have to keep an eye on the size of his head, I guess.

He is still in a LOT of pain when he gets up out of bed though, but that's about the only time. I really am a little worried about this as I just can't imagine him not being able to get up out of bed much for months on end, but hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

He is going to get a Picc Line over the next day or two as well because he is going to be on IV Antibiotics for quite some time. I guess we can either have a visiting nurse come and administer the meds (wherever we are) or I can learn to do it myself. Gotta give some thought to which way I want that to go, but I'm going to wait and see how hard it is.

And to Army Mom, I don't know how long we will be here (it may be many months, it may be a year even) so I am going to put Breezy's address here for you to send Kevin a letter. I will also put it in the column on the right.

Kevin Kammerdiener
3500 Oakgate Dr
Apt 1101
San Antonio, TX 78230

And to Diane and Mary Jo - I can't believe you went into the pool! The water has to be 50 degrees, lol. You guys are just nuts! Enjoy though - and have a safe trip home!

And I think Moe is on the right track - nobody should tell us when they are coming. This way we might just be there.

Ok, off to bed for me. Kevin is staying every night by himself now. He did call me a couple of nights ago at about 1:30am and I went back up to the hospital for almost 2 hours, but other than that he has been excellent. It stems from everyone in the hospital treating him like he is their best friend. All of the nurses go in and visit with him every day just for fun. He is having a blast. And I love to see him joking around with all the guys and he sure does flirt with all the ladies, lol.

It just makes my heart sing to see the strides he has made since coming here. I was so scared that we would take that plate out and he would go back to what he was in the beginning. But he is really coming a long way each and every day. At this rate I won't need to worry so much about him going to that TBI facility.

I just wish he would be medically stable forevermore...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Kevin is doing great in the hospital! :) It's wonderful that he is happy and joking there! I'm glad he is being cared for so well. Makes you feel like he is in good hands when you leave.
I was also wondering how he would do with the plate removed. It sounds like it didn't set him back in the way that he is communicating, etc. Yeah!!!! :)
I'm sorry that he felt bad about his head the other day regarding videos and everything. Please tell him that we care so much about him and enjoy his company- it doesn't matter what shape his head is. He's still Kevin and that's what makes us happy! :) I'm so glad he's joking with everyone. I'm sure he makes their days as well. :)
Have a great day and I'm glad you are able to take a break sometimes at night. You need that too! :) Hope Breezy is doing good and also your family.
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Such good news about Kevin. :)
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Long-time RN said...

Medically stable would be a wonderful thing. Good to read things are going as well as they are currently. Sure hope the independent trend continues. Please tell Kevin we're thinking of him and keeping him in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

- Thanks for the address - I would like to encourage EVERYONE to send a note of encouragement to Kevin, Leslie and Breezy. Without dedicated service members like Kevin and their support system (the families) we would all be living in a very different world.

Jessica said...

Hopefully Kevin's head will adjust and he won't have as much pain getting up. It's wonderful that despite the pain he still has a positive attitude and is able to joke with the staff. God bless them for being so good with him!

I'll be praying that the picc line surgery goes well and that the fluid stays down in his head. And I'll second the wish that he would be medically stable forevermore!

You're in my prayers and in my thoughts. Take care.