Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 631 - Feb 19, 2010

Guess where I am? Again? Yep - the Fisher House!!

Kevin did really well last night. He did call the nurses quite often, but he never called me once. Not at all!

So when I went in and started through the day, we discussed it and he felt good enough about letting me come 'home' every night. Yes, I know there may be nights that he won't want me to or even that I won't want to if he is really sick or something, but this is a HUGE step toward building his independence.

This is really just such an exciting step too. It makes me feel so good to see him progressing like this. It just gives you such hope that he may really be closer to normal someday than we ever thought to wish for.

And man...I can't tell you how awesome it was to sleep. To just sleep. I slept hard last night and it felt so good. I am planning on it tonight too, lol.

And that's what I am going to do right now. I will leave you with a photo of Kevin fake crying as I was getting ready to leave tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Kevin is adjusting to calling the nurses. How's he doing? Do they have the pain managed better? Did they say anymore about an infection? Maybe you're just waiting for results to come back?
Kevin is so funny! :) It's just great to see pictures of him. In any situation he always seems to make the best of it with humor. It sure makes us feel better knowing he's still able to tease and show his funny side. He sure is a trooper! All of you are! He's an inspiration to everyone.
I'm so glad you are able to post pictures and let us know how you are doing. We continue to pray for all of you!
Take care and I hope you can have a nice weekend.
Kathy in IA

Cathy M said...

Oh, isn't sleep wonderful?! It gives us the strength and energy to face situations so much better. I hope you take this opportunity to replenish yourself.
Thanks for your updates. You know we care.

Lisa D in Cali said...

What wonderful news...and I love the fake cry! I am so inspired by you guys finding the opportunities for progress even in the middle of a setback. Go Kevin...and Go Leslie. I can't help that think that sleep for you, and the sense of accomplishment for him will provide strength for his recovery!

Jan said...

And ESPECIALLY that he's willing to part from you while he's in the hospital, after a surgery. That's when I'd expect him to cling tighter than ever. You're right, huge step!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Leslie and Kevin...I'm at a lost for words. I cannot image what this has to be like. I've been following Kevin through this entire process and every day I read, I am humbled by both of you. When I close out my day, I remember you and all the troops in prayer; when I begin my day, I do the same. I know I'm not alone. Kevin looks good despite the huge impact this has had to have made on him. He was fighting so hard to be just like every one else. I think he did so well up until now because he "looked" pretty much normal. I remember before he had his plate placed, he was so concerned with his looks. I just wonder how long he will have to go before the plate as replaced. Now he is at such a risk for further damage...will he wear a helmet, etc...what impact will that have ob him? I am so worried about the two of you (and your mom and dad). I really don't know how you deal every day, but you are an inspiration to all.
Will continue thoughts and prayers for you and your family and try to remember that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle and He got us here,He'll get us through...God Bless You!
Tons of thoughts and prayers,
Hallie