Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 636 - Feb 24, 2010

Kevin got his Picc line today. You had to know that we had just gotten our lunch in the cafeteria and the admin from the burn unit came down to get us because they wanted Kevin 'right now' in Special Procedures. The poor kid wolfed down his sausage, but phew - was he mad. Nobody gets in between Kevin and his food, lol.

He did do a 'little' bit better with the pain today. I think we only gave him two IV pushes of pain meds and that's great. Matter of fact, before I got there this morning they wanted to give him one and he told them no and that he wanted the pills. Thank goodness! I told him he had to be down to zero for a few days before I would take him home. I don't want a repeat of September when I had to have him readmitted because I couldn't get a grip on his pain.

And unfortunately ENT didn't come today. I am hoping tomorrow...

And today Kevin counted to 11 without any prompting whatsoever. He has been stuck on the number 8 all this time and it finally came out today automatically. I hope it does tomorrow too and then I am hoping he will agree to a video for the blog. Wish us luck on this! He's doing well going down to the cafeteria, but then again it's a hospital. Who knows...maybe he won't care what he looks like after a while. I know we don't. It's kinda funny, isn't it? Breezy and I were just discussing how we can look at Kevin with half a head and not even notice it. It's amazing the things you get used to, it really is.

PS - does anyone have a copy of Toy Story on DVD they are willing to part with? Kevin is dying for it and I can't find it anywhere. I will gladly pay for it, please just email me. TIA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Kevin's is recovering rapidly.
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Anonymous said...

There is a website that you can watch any movie anytime on a computer They would have it. I will email it to Lori from Pittsburgh

Anonymous said...

If we had the movie, it would be Kevins! I am in San Antonio and I will ask my neighbors.
Laura RL

Long-time RN said...

If you need to learn the Picc line administration, you'll do fine. Just ask what you should know for troubleshooting issues.

Good to read Kevin's appetite is hearty and he's doing so well! Thoughts and prayers for you all.

Jessica said...

I'm glad to hear that the Picc line is in without much incident. I hope his pain is better today. At least he's eating, so that's good!

That's kinda funny about the counting! I remember from the video that he was getting stuck. Amazing! I do hope he does more videos; I love to see his progress and he always makes me smile.

I'm thinking of you and your family and wondering how your mom is and what the test results are. My fingers are crossed and I'm praying for strength and peace for you all. Take care.