Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 632 - Feb 20, 2010

I am writing early tonight because I need to run to Walmart at midnight when I leave the hospital and get Kevin some more food.

Hallie - you just mentioned that you were concerned about how Kevin feels about himself now that half his head is gone and I have to admit I am a little worried about it too. He is adjusting kinda, but you can tell it really bothers him because he rubs it all the time and pulls the mirror out of his tray to keep looking at it. He always has such a sad look on his face every time he sees it too. It really breaks my heart.

I also asked him if he wanted to record a video for the blog tonight and he was adamant in saying "NO". He told me no way while his head looks like this. I did tell him that he would have to get used to it and that it will be better once his hair grows back in, but he's just not ready yet. It's only been a few days so I can be patient, but I will just have to keep an eye on him.

As for when the plate will be replaced, we just don't know. We do know it will be at least 3 months.

He also does not have to wear a helmet, but we were told if we want to we can go buy a skateboard helmet. Our surgeon is a little different in believing a helmet isn't necessary so I just need to decide if I want him wearing one or not. We do all have to remember that we didn't have one the last time and he was way more unsteady on his feet back then.

And to Kathy in IA - I guess all of the cultures came back negative?! They think it's because he was on the antibiotic for 5 months and that's why. We are using a broad range IV antibiotic for treatment so I guess we'll see what happens.

As for the pain - we are working on trying to manage it better, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable taking him home. What I am seeing is is that he is in a lot of pain and very dizzy every time he gets up out of bed. I am hoping this will go away pretty quick, but I worry it's a fluid issue due to the plate being out. Time will tell, I guess.

Kristen - please call me! I left your number in FL so I can't call you. Afternoons and evenings are best. I can't always answer, but you can sure try. And I love you too! And Travis!

And to my two other friends from home in PA (Diane and Mary Jo) - I hope you are enjoying visiting our home. I cried like a baby this afternoon because you arrived in FL to visit us and we are in TX. I just hate that every stinking time someone I am friends with comes to visit, Kevin gets sick. This sure is a lonely endeavor (among so many other adjectives) and I really miss all of my friends.

Oh well, it doesn't matter I guess. Just take care of that darn cat of Kevin's and eat as much as you want. I am glad that someone is there to make the house look lived in. I so wish we were there with you though. Next year you aren't buying your tickets until the day before you can come. That's what Moe learned to do, lol.

OK, enough about this. I am going to go watch Happy Gilmore with Kevin. Like we haven't seen it 300 times already, haha.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, sending good vibes and keeping you all in my prayers...
A.

Moe said...

Yep, I learned the hard way. No more buying tickets till the day before. lol But I've also decided that I'm not even telling you when I'm coming, I'm just going to show up on your door step! lol

Anonymous said...

Leslie-
Does Kevin have an address in Texas where letters and packages can be sent?
Army Mom

GrannieEv said...

As a military mom, all I can say is God Bless Kevin and y'all. I just found your blog (thru a scrap book site) and have read it on and off all day to catch up. You rock! I have helped with a couple of wounded warriors at Bethesda, the both had TBI and one has gone through quite a bit of what your Kevin has gone thru but Kevin is doing so much better than him. My heart aches for you. Try to take care of yourself. I know the Fisher House is run by awesome ppl; I hope you get to have a number of good nights sleeping.

Evelyn

Jessica said...

I'd been wondering the same thing as Hallie. It is heartbreaking that he has to go through this again. I guess now at least he seems to have better coping skills and knows it's a temporary thing. Not that that makes it any easier or less painful, of course.

Sorry to hear you've missed your friends' visit! That really sucks. And poor Princess must be missing her boy, and vice versa!

That's good news about the culture tests coming back negative. So was that just pus left over from an infection inside his head, but no longer infectious? Let's hope any bug that might be hiding gets annihilated by the IV's!

I'm thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers!