Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 623 - Feb 11, 2010

Remember how things were all rosy yesterday? Remember how good I felt about the new doctor? Well scratch that!

Kevin started draining CSF out of the hole in his head at about 3am (he didn't pick at it, but it started when he lay his head on his pillow). I talked to the answering service last night and to cut the story way short - the surgeon called early this afternoon and told us that he just didn't feel he can be Kevin's doctor.

He explained that due to the opening in Kevin's head, the chances are good that he has already been infected with either MRSA or Meningitis and that he feels we need to go back to the VA or BAMC. He just doesn't feel he is a good fit if Kevin needs to be hospitalized for 6-12 months as he will if it is infected and the plate needs to come out.

So I have literally been on the phone for the last 8.5 hours and we are now booked on a private flight tomorrow afternoon for Texas. This organization - Veteran's Airlift has decided to help us get there and I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

And now I have to get back to laundry and packing and bill paying and cleaning and gosh knows what else before leaving tomorrow.

Wish us luck!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my.... We continue to pray for all of you! I'm so glad Veteran's Airlift is helping you and the fact that you knew who to contact.
Please have a safe trip and let us know how things are going when you can.
Hugs to you!!!!!
Kathy in IA

Jessica said...

Oh no! And here today I was just thinking about your post and how relieved I was that you like the new neurosurgeon. I guess it's true that the only constant in life is change! What a shame. I'll be praying for you and Kevin tomorrow as you scurry to Texas. Thank God for Veteran's Airlift! Take care and I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for Kevin and for your sanity.

I respect the fact that the doctor told you what he did NOW and not a week or two down the road telling you the same thing as you just heard today.

You're on your way to get him help. Keep plugging along.

Prayers have never stopped.

karen said...

best wishes ... Thinking about you both on the west coast ...

Long-time RN said...

Oh Leslie, we'll be praying for you guys. On one hand the neuro was honest that Kevin's case is probably out of what he feels is his 'capable' zone, on the other hand, I'd like to kick him in the ass.

Yeah to Veteran's Airlift. This is tough, especially with other family issues at this time. Lots of thoughts and prayers for you and Kevin. Safe travel and we'll be waiting for news.

Anonymous said...

Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie,

OJD. Safe flight to BAMC.
Candles lit and Prayers being said that all goes well and those at home are safe and well.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Godspeed and may you arrive safely in San Antonio. My heart & prayers are with you and your son. Laura RL

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are always with you.
Melissa Ion

Cathy M said...

I respect docs that are honest and don't give some vague run-around. That way you can make a decision and it appears that you sure did! Where Kevin needs to be is wherever he can get constant professional care. I do agree that he might do best in a clinical setting right now rather than at home.

Thinking of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbie L.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you all.. And like we have continued to do for the last 623 days, we are " Praying for Kevin." Except now the whole family is included...

Lisa D in Cali said...

More prayers across the miles. So sorry that this is happening.