Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 548 - Nov 28, 2009

We didn't do a thing today. I am trying to keep Kevin in bed as much as possible so that he doesn't use his foot/ankle.

I am a little concerned about giving him a shower though. It is such a HUGE struggle to get him into his shower chair with this broken ankle. His shower is large, but it's just not large enough for me, his wheelchair, him and the shower chair he sits on. I think I am going to request a roll-in chair that he can go directly from his bed into the shower and remain in while showering. I hope I can get one quickly (or should I say I hope I can get one period? I'm not sure about the rules on these kinds of things).

And in other news...today was Kevin's last day in the Army. He is officially medically retired. I am glad because this puts him in a much better financial position and (even better) we are hoping that he can now have some of his therapies at home. We aren't sure about this part, but it's something that may be available to him. That would be so great - maybe we wouldn't be so exhausted all the time from running 2 or 3 times a day down the road.

And it's kinda sad too. I know that Kevin intended to make a career out of the Army, but he has lost the chance to do so. I suppose you could look at it as he's lost a lot of chances and possibilities...but then again, you can flip it and look at how much he has gained. How much he can do because of our sheer will and determination to get him better.

So now I need to learn a whole new system - the VA. I know some as we have sorta been in the system for over a year now, but when it came to getting things paid for as active duty - it just happened. Now there is a process and I need to learn it quickly. By Monday...before we see the surgeon...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Kevin now retired, hopefully that will now relieve some of your financial mess. Remembering you were having such worries about losing the house in jumping the gun to buy it before his retirement finances were in order. Good to know that is one less worry. Now the fun begins in learning how the VA operates. With all of the input the blogsters provide, we can only hope that many will pipe in the give some good tips and share some knowledge. There are so many people out there who know so much and hope the advise you get can benefit you and Kevin. Good luck. Be careful maneuvering him. You don't want to hurt yourself.

Cathy M said...

I just love it when you take something negative and find the positive in it. Not everyone does that and I think your excellent attitude only serves to make you stronger.

Anonymous said...

Keeping you all in my prayers...
A.

Anonymous said...

Is there anyway someone can come and help you at the house until Kevin's ankle is fixed ? I am afraid you are going to hurt your back.

Jessica said...

It is a sad thing but, like you said, at least now Kevin will be in a better financial position. I really hope you can get home therapy, too!

I don't suppose the VA could send someone to help Kevin in the shower?

Good luck with the surgeon tomorrow. I'm praying that the break can be repaired without pins. I'll be thinking of you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, contact Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America for help.
If you google it, the site will come up. They're there for Kevin and you. Annie Dangelo