Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 538 - Nov 18, 2009

Guess what we picked up today?! Kevin's new bike!! I wish I had some pics to share with you, but it was nearing dark by the time we got home from the bike shop and I felt it was more important to get him out on a ride rather than run in to get my camera. Man, he is so stinkin' happy! He is just beside himself.

So, assuming we ride again tomorrow (and that's if this body - that is bound to be sore - can handle it!), I will take some pictures then. I purchased a book at the bike store that is an in-depth reference guide to all of the paved trails in FL and I am looking forward to us checking a bunch of those out. I have to get in better shape first though, lol. We only rode maybe a mile or so today and my thighs hurt so bad. Kevin, on other hand, coulda probably rode another 10 miles.

And now I am going to answer just a few of the questions I have in my email. There are so many, and I am so far behind, but I am only going to take the time to answer a couple of them tonight.

To anonymous who wondered if I could teach Kevin my phone number so that we can connect when we are separated in the stores - he has been able to call me for months now. He doesn't know my number, but he has me on speed dial. This is how I am able to go to sleep. This is how I can go upstairs to my scraproom or even how I can go out and swim while he is in his room - he just calls me when he needs something. On the flip side - he calls me constantly. I rarely get to finish the job in the bathroom without a phone call. I went to a movie one time and he called me roughly 20 times. It's why I don't get any sleep - he calls me all night long (he hardly sleeps at all - day or night). Basically, his phone is his 'call bell', lol. I'm not complaining though - it actually really works for us and as time goes on, he is calling me less and less (at least through the daylight hours).

Tracy Jack - you want to send your guys down for independence training - please do. Our ceilings are over 20 ft high and I have 7 light bulbs blown. I have no idea how to change these without killing myself so I could really use your husband about now. If you don't - we are going to be sitting here in the dark real quick, lol.

Aunt Mona - I believe Breezy will be spending Thanksgiving with Elizabeth and Jake at Ft Hood. (I shared a photo of her and her boyfriend when they visited us in Texas). At least she will be with someone. I hated the thought of her being all alone.

And that's it for tonight. I have a bunch more questions/comments to get to over the next few days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, just a comment on your light bulbs...I have the same issue and they sell an extendable handle and this little spring loaded attachment that you can slip over the bulb and it grabs onto it so you can remove it or put one in. Any of the big home improvement stores should have it. I have to use it in my garage and on my outside lights. Hope that helps! Julie

Anonymous said...

Just an F.Y.I. if Kevin were to lose his phone or have it taken and say hop on a bus with his new independence and sense of adventure, does he wear a bracelet or carry "return me to" information ? I know he is not a puppy but he does have special needs. A phone number is a great idea to teach a child so they can tell proper authorities if they get lost or stolen. If he is out of your sight, there are always those possibilities. They are teaching very young children their own phone number now for those very reasons.

Anonymous said...

Can he still wear his dog tags ? Congrats on his bicycle. You will be chasing or peddling after him all over the neighborhood. lol He looks good in the Target photos and bet he feels better with his haircut.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

Anonymous 10:10a has a good point. With the bike, Kevin is more likely to get a "Wild Hair" and go for a ride with you not knowing.

An extra set of 'Dog' tags with his name, address and your phone no. that he has to always wear NO matter what should do the trick.

A medical alert bracelet/pendent would also work because now they call a number to get the central register and give the bracelet's I.D. name/number and up pops all of Kevin's pertinent info including your name, relationship and phone no.

Actually, Kevin should already be wearing a medical alert bracelet/pendent.
If there is a car accident and you are unconscious they will be able to contact Kevin physician and get him whatever help that is needed.

If nothing else the above suggestions could give you some peace of mind...hopefully.

Hope the 'Bike' doesn't get the upper hand before you get it all whopped into shape.
Have fun with the bikes.


Kevin looked good in the last picture. Real Good.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. We are always trying to think of things to be helpful to Leslie. I guess we always think "what if" this was my child. What would I do "if".

His skin is too sensitive to have some kind of a permanent ID tatoo so make a game of learning the phone number, huh ? Praise and a lot of hoorahs if he can do it.

Always better to be safe than sorry and not wait till something happens and hope nothing ever does.

10:10

Long-time RN said...

Congrats on the bike! Some good ideas in the responses. Each step in progress brings consideration for potential new situations and safety for Kevin. Looking forward to seeing photos!