Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 541 - Nov 21, 2009

We stayed home all day today. It was wonderful. I made stromboli for dinner and I swam, but Kevin didn't want to. He was playing his Zune and that's fine with me. The more he plays that thing, the more his brain is healing.

So to answer a few more questions - about the pharmacy - we do usually use the mail order pharmacy (although that requires MANY phone calls every month as nothing is ever right), but because we were away for 2 months we had to 'start over'. It still could have been mail order, but we needed to see the doctor first for his narcotics and I only had enough to get us through Sunday. That meant that we had to wait for the meds.

I should say that we didn't 'wait' there the whole time though. It took about 30-40 minutes for me just to drop off the script as there were so many people there. I left Kevin in the car with his aide (who started back yesterday), but he did call me numerous times and ask me "how long?". After we dropped it off, I had to run the aide back to our house (a half hour drive) because her shift was over and then we had to turn around and go back to pick up the pills. They were ready when we got there because of all the rush hour traffic taking her back to our house and then coming back to the VA.

So anyway, great idea on the survival bag, Miss Em. I will get one of those ready for the next time.

LauraRL - thanks for the offer of being a resource for Breezy. I will let you know if she ever needs anything. So far, she is very happy with her job and her apartment. She is making friends and doing things, which is so great for her.

mamaworecombatboots - Signing Time just sent Kevin some of their CDs for us to learn sign language. They actually sent them a while ago, but we weren't home. I am anxious to give it a try. Our FRC has used this method of learning sign language and she tells us it's a wonderful and easy way of doing so.

Julie - I am looking for one of those bulb changers (thanks!). My bro-in-law came down yesterday and changed the ones he could reach so it's at least a little bit brighter in the kitchen.

Kristen - how is your Mom? Thanks for all the info on what has worked with you and Travis. We have been looking for a therapist for Kevin, but the normal psychologists we were referred to told me that they couldn't really help due to his inability to talk. They suggested a neuropsychologist and now that we are home we should be able to get back on track. We had just gotten the authorization to see one when we left for Texas. I need to call and set up a new appt after Thanksgiving.

And I totally agree that things that you and I feel are normal can be overstimulating to Kevin. Riding down the road with the car window even cracked open is too much for him. The windshield wipers are too much too, but he knows we don't have a choice on those. The docs have repeatedly told me that we don't know what he 'hears' all the time. It's why I think he doesn't listen to music much and the TV is always on mute. I assume he has a lot of noise in his head.

It would just be so much easier if he could just tell us what is going on. EVERYTHING would be so much easier if he could just tell us what is going on.

Anyway - Kristen, I would love to chat with you. Grab my number from the system at work and call anytime. Please! And tell Travis 'hello'.

And I think I'll sign off here tonight...

No comments: