Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 546 - Nov 26, 2009

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We did. Great food, lots of family arguing and did I mention great food?

Kevin's foot doesn't hurt anymore so I have been 'yelling' at him all day to stay off of it. He just won't listen. I sure hope the orthopedic surgeon can get us in for sure tomorrow and do whatever needs to be done with it. Kev is just not understanding the need to stay off it.

We didn't really do anything today. Most of the family played on the Wii all day and even Kevin enjoyed it. He had a really good day.

And my nephew Anthony came down to stay for a couple of days and he and Kevin got along really well too.

I have been wondering myself if the bike is the reason Kevin's foot got fractured. I think we will find out when we see the surgeon. That will really stink as it is the one thing he is enjoying above all others right now.

As for us riding on the road - we don't have a choice. There are no trails in our development and if we are going to go anywhere else, we need a truck. I can get his bike into the van with a LOT of finagling, but if his is in there, mine can't fit.

I will say that in some ways now Kevin is like normal. When it comes to riding, he is extremely conscious of the traffic and hears it early and moves over close to the edge and slows way down. I also stay on his butt (but I had to back off to take the picture) as I am a natural born worrywart when it comes to this kid.

Also, I know someone responded about this, but there is no way his foot can fall off of the pedals. He has special shoes that lock right to them.

I think it's all going to be a moot point for now anyway. It doesn't look like he'll be riding for a while.

And I think I will get to bed now. I have to get up early and get a new tire put on the van and then take Kev over to the hospital (I hope anyway).

Breezy - I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! It wasn't the same without you here! Love you!

3 comments:

AnnieB said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leslie, I just read about Kevin's foot. Just what you needed. I am not sure where you are taking him to the ortho surgeon, but you should consider a consult with Dr. Bernard and Dr. Waggoner at the VA. They are podiatrists and they operated on Mark's right foot in June. Mark had no use of the foot at all which was why he could not walk. He can now put his foot down in an normal position and is regaining complete use of it again. He had his achilles tendon lengthened and they moved other tendons around. Dr. Bernard and his team came highly recommended to us from another patient, and one of Mark's roommates on 5 had his feet completely reconstructed by this team. They even transplanted bones to rebuild his feet which were so severely damaged in a blast that they were initially going to amputate at Walter Reed. He is now walking normally with no aid. It was amazing. I would recommend them highly because they are also a great team and deal with the guys so well. Mark loves them and I cannot say enough good things about Drs. Bernard and Waggoner. Hope my two cents help some. Love to you all, Ann

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Kevin and Breezy in Texas. Tonight CNN is on and Campbell Brown has a guest on named Dr. Norman Doidge. He is the author of a book called "The Brain That Changes Itself" and it all sounds so interesting. I wanted to share in case you might want to check it out. An added note, I may get a second opinion on Kevin's foot. I've known three persons who have had a broken foot, one requiring surgery, and the pain with all three was bad. Either Kevin has a high tolerance for pain or his foot break isn't as bad as you think. I hope he doesn't need surgery and hopefully not surgery involving a pin sticking out of the foot until healed. He has been through so much. It is not uncommon with a BAD break that involves the metatarsal, to put a pin in the foot that extends through the toe with a rubber tip on the end. I hope they give you ALL of the options before they would do this. Good luck and it sure seems like it is always something, doesn't it ?? I cannot imagine getting by with this responsibility of caring for Kevin without your family close by. That is such a blessing they are near. Enjoy your leftovers. The best part of Thanksgiving, yes the leftovers, especially the dressing.

Catherine said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving....
I saw a news thing about something called Interactive Metronome Therapy. I think you need to research it for Kev: http://www.interactivemetronome.com/IMPublic/Home.aspx