Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 543 - Nov 23, 2009

Kevin woke up this morning with his left ankle hurting really bad. I have no idea what he did, but he can't even put any weight on it. I can't imagine what happened as he didn't get out of bed all night long. It's very strange. Anyway, if it's still hard for him to bear weight in the morning, we will go for an x-ray.

So we did nothing today. He only got out of bed one time and wheeled around for a while, but then he got back in and has stayed there all day/night. I even laid out dinner on his bed and we ate there, rather than him have to put his weight on it. He's just put on too many pounds for me to help lift him out of bed and into his chair. I could do it when he weighed 125, but over 160? No way!

Speaking of weight, I am trying to get Kevin to diet. All of his pants are too tight again. I am seeing the beginning of a very bad trend and it needs nipped in the bud right now. I just don't know how to do it. It's hard not to eat when you're bored and I suspect that is part of the problem. Once his ankle's better we can get back on the bike and that should help some, but it won't take care of it all.

My biggest fear is him being 300 pounds and falling down. I can't imagine how I would deal with that (other than to call 911) - I just don't want to get to this point though.

And yesterday I went and bought some Tylenol. I have decided we are not going to use the Oxycontin IR (immediate release) for breakthrough pain any longer. I want to get a jump on the detox and if I can at least pull out a few pills a week, it's a start. He has very little excessive pain anymore anyway - so I think we will be safe with the Tylenol. I just hate all these pills...

And I am going to end with a video that has been airing on PBS. It features two of the families that are here at the VA in Tampa. You can catch it on TV or view it on their website:

Who's Helping Our Wounded Vets?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Leslie, we, as a nation, can and should do what it takes to provide WHAT it takes for all incapacitated soldiers AND their caregivers! NOTHING LESS! Thank you for sharing this video clip.
Happy, Blessed Thanksgiving to you all. Janet

Anonymous said...

Be careful with Tylenol. Sometimes people pop it too freely and it can ruin your liver if you don't watch. A woman I know died a few years ago because her liver failed from taking too much Tylenol for her arthritis. Tylenol is not the simple little medicine that people think. Good luck with weening Kevin off of his pain medicine and have a nice Thanksgiving.

Jessica said...

That's a shame about Kevin's ankle. I hope it was doing better this morning.

It's definitely hard not to eat when you're bored, especially if you don't have that many options available for distraction. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas for you.

I'll be thinking of you all and praying for you and Kevin. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey Les,

Just finally catching up on your blogs...

I cannot imagine what you are going through trying to take of Kevin and yourself at the same time. It must be so difficult to leave him for a minute while you are showering or doing daily activities...but at the same time, you need a couple of minutes to take care of yourself...WOW!!!!

I feel for you...I cannot imagine how you have the patience for each and every day...I have a hard time making it through my job, my family, friends, the general public and just a bad day in general. I give you so much credit for looking after your family with such a great outlook...you are an angel, and I hope you will be blessed a million times over!!!

Thanks for asking about my mom...she is still waiting for more test results...keep your fingers crossed...

I hope your father is doing okay...It is such a hard thing to go through...I wish him the best...your family is always in my prayers...

In the interim, Travis is my little "A" student...but he has had a couple of bad days lately. I may need you to talk to him...lol...you may need to tell him NO salad and NO cheesecake!!! He still looks at our photos and talks about "Miss Leslie"!!!

On another note, his hearing loss is due to the lack of hair in his left ear...what a wild thing...While some sounds are out of this world to him in his right ear, others, in the left, are completely silent...

It makes me wonder what Kevin "hears". I can only think that every sound is a distraction and a rather "loud" sound/noise to him. You mentioned the wiper blades..imagine that times ten...I guess we will never know, but I can only give you credit for being so patient and so caring...

Ready to sign off...please ask me about restroom noises in a phone conversation...very interesting...

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Love,

Kristen and Travis