Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 545 - Nov 25, 2009

This has been such a horrible day. First, we went down to have the CT scan only to find out that you need an appointment and the docs didn't make one - they just told us to walk in. (and of course the radiologist had left early today)

Second, after scrambling around, we went to the VA to have the scan done and it put Kevin right where he was months ago - in a very bad mood! I haven't seen him like this since we left for Texas. I know it's because everything is just such a struggle there. Nothing is easy. NOTHING. From the parking, to seeing any docs and even being told to wait because the results would be in 10 minutes and it taking an hour and a half.

But then the day got worse. On our way home from the hospital, I got a flat tire. Picture 5 lanes of traffic going 80+mph on a holiday weekend. Of course I was on a bridge. The exit was only a hundred feet ahead of us, but I was already riding the rim so I couldn't go any further. The problem? Well, there are lots of them.

1. Kevin's foot is fractured and he cannot stand up. (yep, you heard me - it's broken - but I didn't know this at this point)

2. The wheelchair ramp of the van is on the side of the road that is against the railing of the bridge. It cannot be opened.

3. Even if it were on the other side of the van, you cannot open a car door on that side with cars whizzing past so fast.

4. So Kevin is stuck. Stuck in his wheelchair. In the back of the van.

5. The van is so low due to the ramp, that you can't get a jack under it at all. No tow trucks will tow with someone inside though.

6. A cop came, I was so relieved. He told me he was sending a road ranger so I hung up the phone with the road assistance carrier I have.

7. After an hour - still no road ranger.

8. At this point my family came and we somehow managed to get Kevin out of his wheelchair, into the front seat and out the door. They took him home as he was so overstimulated he was just screaming his head off. (And I think he is lucky that he is able to just do that if he wants to.)

9. My brother-in-law, Joe, stayed with me though and after another hour, I called the roadside assistance folks back and scheduled them to come.

10. They were there in 15 minutes. Joe and the tow truck driver shook the van until it was rockin up a storm. They managed to get the jack under enough to raise it so that some chunks of wood could be put under the car and then you could put the jack in the correct place.

11. As I look across the 5 lanes of traffic on the other side of the highway, I see my road ranger with a car that was broken down over there.

So we did get it all fixed and Joe and I took off for home. Tonight was one of our Thanksgiving dinners. We are having two because my niece has to work tomorrow. I guess I should be happy I didn't have to do any of the cooking, huh?

But now I have to figure out how to get a new tire and get Kevin in to see an orthopedic surgeon on Friday. Yes, the word surgery has already been thrown out there. I refuse to think about this though today. Friday is soon enough.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep Kevin down for 2 days. He says it doesn't hurt as much and he feels he should just be able to walk all he wants.

I just have to ask - why can't anything just be easy?

So I don't have it in me to be all happy and positive today. I think I will just sign off, but I do want to wish everyone a super wonderful Thanksgiving!

I am sure my day will be better tomorrow...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow-I don't know what to say.
"HUGS" to all of you! I'm so sorry that you had an extra bad day. Tomorrow has to be better right? :) How did Kevin break his foot? Was it from the bike or did he just land on it wrong or something? Maybe it's been stressed from him favoring that side and it fractured that way? I don't know but I'm so sorry that it is.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I hope you are able to take it easy for part of the time. You guys sure need it! Thank you for all you do! We are thankful for all of you!
Kathy in IA

Linda G said...

Leslie,
I am so sorry you are having another rough patch to go thru! You and your family sure deserve a huge long break in live with NO backwards steps...Just straight ahead for once. My heart goes out to you. I know it is hard, and you hear it alot, but as you said tomorrow is going to be better.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday period! U all deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Another WOW, like Kathy. Just take a deep breath. I can't believe you broke down in those conditions. I would have been scared to death. Thankfully you had family to call to help you. When you first mentioned that Kevin "may" have a broken foot, the first thing I also thought was the new bike. Seeing him so close to the pavement going down the road gave me chills then. The thrill seeker that he is probably loves to go fast too. If his foot slams on the pavement, it is easy to break. Surgery on a foot is never pleasant, as it usually involves pins. With pins the patient MUST be still while getting well and move very easily or if you bump the foot, you shreak with SEVERE pain. I pray they do not have to put pins in his foot if he does have surgery. I hope with Kevin not having much fear, that he is not going to have to have some limitations on what he can do ( ride ) and what he cannot. Accidents do happen. When I saw Kevin on his bike, my fear was that if a car was coming and he has no fear, he could suddenly turn into the path of a car. Do you have tracks around you for bike riding so he wouldn't be on a street ? Hopefully to help take some stress away, is it possible your roadside service can take care of the tire issue ? I know AAA has towing and a tire is not a problem when towed to a repair garage who can fix it. All part of the roadside service we pay for with AAA. Not sure what your roadside service is, but it was just a thought to try and help since you've already got so much to figure out. Bravo for Joe and all of the others who helped you. We are thankful they were there when you needed them most. Enjoy being with family tomorrow and hope Kevin's foot doesn't hurt too much. The best thing is to stay off of it and keep it elevated as to prevent swelling. Good luck.

Long-time RN said...

Ugh, Leslie, I'm so sorry to read this news. Your nerves must be so frazzled after these events.

Hope you had a good dinner and were able to relax a bit. Sounds like you've got quite a week ahead.

Thoughts and prayers and a big (((Hug))).

Anonymous said...

Remembering Kevin's shoes get locked in the bike by you, that probably did not happen to his foot then. The thought of Kevin quickly turning into the path of a car or truck is a concern. He does still have the mind of a child and an unassuming driver would never know what happened it could all occur so quickly. Good points to ponder. You try so hard to protect him but from the pictures it appeared he was directly next to the traffic.

Jessica said...

Oh my word! What a horrible day. Thank goodness you finally got some help on the highway without any accidents. I feel so bad for Kevin and for you having to take care of it all. Like you said, tomorrow should be better. Hope you have some good food and good times with your family. Take care. I'll be thinking of you all and praying that Kevin's foot doesn't need anything drastic that would require any long-term rest.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your bad day yesterday...
Lucky your family was there to help!
Hoping you are having a nice Thanksgiving today! :)
A.

Cathy M said...

Oh Leslie....I am just so upset for you! I had not read your blog since Sunday, as my mom was hospitalized and I drove up to Northern CA to be with her. I just now read the latest three blogs and watched the VA hospital video. Oh gosh, I am just so sad for our wounded soldiers! I am sending warm thoughts and HUGS your way. Stay strong..........

Cathy M