Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 537 - Nov 17, 2009

We had a really good day today. We didn't really do anything special - we were just both in a good mood (probably because the MRSA is gone and it is such a weight off of our shoulders).

We did go and visit my parents today and my sister cut Kevin's hair while we were there. He needed it so bad, but we couldn't do it while he had stitches in his head.

On the way home, we stopped at Target for a few groceries. I know a while back I talked about sending him to 'get' something and I did it again today. But this time, I did give him two things to get. I made sure they were both in the same aisle to help him (bread and hamburger buns) and he did well, but he didn't get it right. He did get the burger buns, but he grabbed hot dog buns too, instead of the bread.

And check these two photos out:




Yep. We didn't have Kevin's wheelchair with us today, so I allowed him to ride the electric cart around. I was so worried about his driving skills, but he did fantastic! At first I made him stay close to me to see if he would hit anything, but he was very cautious so I finally sent him away. (I always leave him in the stores now. My way of forcing his independence.). Anyway, I was very proud of him for compensating for the lost vision on his right. He really did a super job driving! (and I so see him and my dad racing each other through the store now, lol)

And now I am going to get back to scrapping. I really should be answering emails, but I just need a few days of sitting in my scrap room...

7 comments:

Kim Sonksen said...

what an amazing achievement for Kevin - those pictures have actually brought tears to my eyes. I cannot wait to read more now, that is for sure

Anonymous said...

He will be the Target hot rod. ha ha If you sometimes leave him alone, is it possible to teach him your phone number-just in case.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that the MRSA is gone and that you have found time to yourself for a few minutes. Also congratulations to Breezy on her new job. Seeing Kevin in that scooter reminded me of the bike you were trying to get for him, is that still a possibility? We are still praying daily for all three of you. Stay strong.
Melissa Ion

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
since you are doing the independence training. I've decided to send you two more students. LOL I have to warn you though in my experience of shopping with the two boys, Kevin may be advanced in training. They'll need to do some catching up:) Great Job Kevin. Love and Miss you all.
Tracy A. Jack

Jan said...

That has GOT to be a lot more fun than the wheelchair. :)

I don't see out of my left eye and you do need to compensate. I've never known anything different so it's second nature for me. Good for Kevin, picking it up so easily.

sherri said...

You are such a great mom! Always thinking about Kevin and doing what's best for him from the very big things to the little ones.How blessed he is to have you. Love, Sherri

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Good for you Kevin. Our Target doesn't look like that. WOW.