Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 530 - Nov 10, 2009

I am not feeling up to par tonight so I am going to make this a short post. We didn't really do much anyway, just went to therapy and then to Breezy's were I mostly slept after I put dinner in the oven.

I do want to share two videos though that pay tribute to our military. The first one is focused more on our troops over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here it is:

Tribute to the Troops

And I was looking at the forums at ScrapMuse earlier and a woman posted about this beautiful song that was written in remembrance of Veterans. I realize it is a Canadian song, but it still tells the tale. I am not real sure on military etiquette, so I hope it's ok that it is referring to the Canadian military. This one more encompasses all military - past and present.

Anyway, here is the story behind it:

On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the stores PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the stores leadership role in adopting the Legions two minutes of silence initiative. He felt that the stores contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven oclock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the two minutes of silence to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terrys anger towards the father for trying to engage the stores clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, A Pittance of Time. Terry later recorded A Pittance of Time and included it on his full-length music CD, The Power of the Dream.

Thank You to the Royal Canadian Legion Todmorden Branch #10 and Woodbine Height Branch #2 for their participation in the Video.


A Pittance of Time

Before I sign off - I just want to say 'Thank You' to all of our heroes - past, present and future!

And to the Shields, the Finlay and the Thornhill families - a special salute.

17 comments:

Anne Van Atta said...

Hi Leslie-

My late father was a 30 year USAF vet and I grew up on military bases all over the world; at retreat when the prelude to the National Anthem began you'd stop whatever you were doing, turn toward the direction of the flag, place your hand over your heart (if you were a civilian-soldiers saluted- and be quiet and respectful!) I learned this early in life.

I live so close to MacDill that sometimes I can hear retreat wafting over on the breeze; when
I do I turn towards the flag and place my hand over my heart.

On Veterans' Day Kevin is very much in my heart,as are you and Breezy...best wishes.

Anne

penny said...

THANK YOU KEVIN !!!!!!!!You are in my thoughts and prayers

penny said...

THANK YOU KEVIN !!!! Always in my heart and prayers

Anonymous said...

To All Who Have Served - THANK YOU. Thank you to the Kevins throughout the nation. May your sacrifice remind us each day of what our freedom really means.
"All gave some; some gave all." Each was willing to give all for us.
Let us not forget!
It is with great honor that I proudly serve the veterans. I am grateful for that opportunity.
Hallie

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Thank you, thank you, thank you...and to Leslie and Breezy we salute you also....what a great family...May God Bless You and all Veterans and their families...xoxo

Anonymous said...

Great story & video. Thanks for sharing... I'm going to pass it along. A special salute to Kevin today!
Wendy (Knox, PA)

Anonymous said...

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you Kevin! We sure appreciate what all of you do. Thank you Leslie and Breezy for everything you do as well. We are thankful for all of you!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Thanks for the good cry this morning. :-)

THANK YOU KEVIN, for your service and sacrafice. And thank you Les and Breezy for YOUR sacrafices to take care of our hero. Your family is such an inspiration to all of us.

May God Bless and protect ALL our veterns and active military personnel. THANK YOU for your services and sacrafices.

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU, Kevin, for your service, for your sacrifice, for the inspiration that you are.

Miss Em said...

Hello Leslie,

I send to Kevin my "Thank You" for his service to our Country.

I send to you and Breezy my "Thank You" for your scrafice in Loving and Care of Our Wounded Warrior.

To those who read this Blog and who have served, are serving or lost one who has served...."Thank You...God Bless and Keep You."

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Jeannie said...

Thank you Kevin, Leslie, and Breezy. Know that we are thinking of you all this day and continuing our prayers....not only for you but all Veterans. May God continue to bless you with strength and wisdom to carry on.

Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kevin. Drive on my Herd brother. Airborne All The Way!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all on this Veterans Day.
Thank you, Kevin!
A.

Cathy M said...

Kevin, thank you for your service to our great country. God bless you and all our beloved troops!

Clearbluewater3 said...

thank you kevin. and thank you leslie and breezy. May all we do in life be in honor of the sacrifices you make on behalf of our safety.

Unknown said...

Thank you to Kevin, and our soldiers everywhere, past and present, who have given of their lives, time and sacrifice, so that I might sit at my computer, sipping a cup of tea on a beautiful November afternoon. So that I might walk into my classroom tomorrow without guardsmen by the entrance. So that I might listen to my music of choice, disagree with my government if I feel it, and on Sunday worship as I wish. So that, as a woman, my soul, my desires, my future are all my own. So that, tonight, when I fall asleep, it will be facing the small "pittance" of problems.

God bless you Lesley, Breezy, Kevin, and all who have been a part of this nation's freedom.

Love, hugs and prayers. Always.

Rebecca D. said...

Thinking of you guys on Veterans Day. Thank you Kevin for serving our country, and Leslie and Breezy for all you do. You all are truly heroes to me. Best wishes and take care.