Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 362 - May 28, 2009

We had a pretty good day today. For the beginning of the day, Kevin was kind of tired and cranky, but he made up for it tonight. He was with all his buddies while I went out to dinner with the girls I used to work with. As soon as Ronnie and Evan and Grant all walked in - he was in fine form.

After a few hours, most of the guys left and after I got home, Ronnie's family all came to visit. They are such nice people and I can see where Ronnie became such a fine young man. He has been with Kevin most of the week and it has made Kevin just so much more of his old self.

Here is a photo of the whole group:



And here is some video that Ronnie shot:



It's just amazing to see Kevin walking without his cane, isn't it? Geez...I think he even walks better without it - probably because he doesn't have to lean to the side to get down to cane height. I don't know why, but rest assured - he will be walking more without it now that I know he can.

And tomorrow will be our last day here in PA. We are heading home on Saturday (so far anyway) because we need to go home and just rest for a few days before heading back to Texas. So as I mentioned in the tweener post - we will be at the playground in EB tomorrow at 2pm for those that would like to send us off. It's going to be very hard for us to leave, but we need to get back to therapy if Kevin is going to continue to improve and that's the only thing we can really focus on for the next year or so. I'm sure you can all agree that we have come through some horrific times, but now the down and dirty work begins. I personally think that the last year was harder on me than Kevin - because he doesn't remember hardly any of it - but the next year is definitely going to be harder on him. It's going to take some hard work and quite a few surgeries to improve his quality of life.

And since y'all seem to be along for the ride? Well...I hope we can all get through it together.

17 comments:

blsnow said...

Wow! I can't believe how far he has come in a year! Kev looks so good and I was glad to get to see you guys twice this week.

I wish I could be at the playground tomorrow to send you guys off, but I have to be in Butler by 1. Have a safe trip back and I hope I get to see you guys when you get back in July.

Brittany Snow

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are having a great trip! I don't know how many times I've watched the video! It just makes you smile. Thanks for posting all of the pictures too. They are so fun to see!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Grant Grdunac said...

i wanted a pic with kev! agh...I wish i coulda stayed longer it was nice seeing him. We were all talking about maybe coming down somehow to visit you guys in Tampa if that's where you will be for a while. If i can get up early Saturday i will if now have a safe trip home and tell Kev ill give him a call soon.

Anonymous said...

OMG thats fantastic. I love seeing him walk. Rock on KEV!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you brother bear. It brings a tear to my eye that I'm not there to witness all this stuff. I can't wait to see you guys. Soon soon! I love and miss you two.

Breezy

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home. It was so nice getting to see you and getting that hug from Kevin. Keep up the hard work and we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You are one amazing young man, Kevin. And you are one amazing Mom, Leslie. Take care.
Melissa Ion

Long-time RN said...

Wow, the video is great! Kevin walks so well and hearing him talk is awesome! What a miracle and lots of work yet ahead.

Safe travels and thanks for sharing your trip with photos.

Unknown said...

Les, wish I could be there today but I'm working. You guys have a safe trip back to FL and hope all goes well in TX. Someday I'll come visit ya in FL Love you all and glad I got to see you for a little bit last week.
Diana

Jodi said...

Wow, the video is awesome! It made me laugh and cry all at once! Kev has come SO far in the last year. I am so proud of all of you. Please have a safe trip back to FL. Remember, stay strong this weekend and I will be thinking about you all even more. I can't believe it's almost a year. Seems like just yesterday still....
I love you guys so much!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Jess said...

Hey Mamma!! What an awesome video, I'll definitely come Saturday to the playground to see you guys off. Can't let my future husband go without a hug!! Love you guys so much!!!

Jess said...

Crap!! Did not realize it was today that you would be at the playground I'm working booo!!! Give Kevin a hug and kiss for me and I'll see you both again in July.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see that you have had a wonderful trip to PA. Unfortunately with your time restraints I wasn't able to see you this trip. I would LOVE to see all of you soon! Please keep me updated on when you will be back and I will make plans to drive out and see all of you! Keep up the great progress Kevin...you are doing great!!! Love all of you!
Shari Allison Goodyear

Anonymous said...

That video is fantastic! Kevin has come SO far! This video will be a good reference for a year from now when Kevin has improved even more.

Hugs,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

I can't get enough of the video. I have watched it over and over and over again through tears of joy of course. I am sorry that I didn't get a chance to see either of you this past week. I will make a point to find you both at Riverfest to say hello. It is truly amazing how well he walks and I thank you very much for posting it. Is there any chance that you, Kevin and Breezy may be in the Riverfest Parade? Or would that be overstimulation? That would be so cool. Have a safe trip home and to Texas. Michelle Long

Unknown said...

That video totally made my day. It brings such a smile to my face to see how amazing kevin is. He has come so far this past year. He is a hero in every since of the word. I am sure that it is because he has such a loving family to help him along the way.

Have a safe trip hope. Will say lots of prayers for ya.

Love you all
Debbie

Jeff said...

Les & Kevin,

It was so nice to finally meet you Leslie after our few emails that we had quite some time ago. Kevin it was super seeing you since I had not seen you since your days working at Riverside.

Kevin keep up the hard work you have come so far and Leslie I know you will be there to push Kevin along. Kevin I predict that next summer you will be on those ramps at the skate board park.

Leslie & Kevin have a safe trip back to Florida. We will see you in July for sure at River fest.

God bless,

Jeff

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing that great video! That was cute that Kevin thought he was having his photo taken and was posing. Seeing him walk on his own is watching a miracle in motion! I hope you two have a safe trip home tomorrow. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.