Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 343 - May 9, 2009

Kevin and I actually went and did something fun today. We went to a safari that you drive through and this time Kevin made a new friend. Two actually, lol.

Here are some photos:




Kevin just loved it when the zebras were all over him. And it was hilarious because after the one was eating out of his hand Kevin curled his middle finger and made it appear like the zebra ate the end of it off and he started acting like he was suffering. It was so funny!

And then this ostrich came running over to the car because we had the window down and Kevin playfully freaked out while trying to hurry and put up the window. After he got it up the whole way I snapped a photo and Kevin continued to act like it was such a close call. Hence, the second photo with the funny face.




We really did have a good time and I vowed to do something every day while we have to be here. Not sure what's on the agenda yet for tomorrow, but I'll find something. I think it's a necessary diversion, don't you think?

After we got home we had some dinner and then we went outside and I allowed Kevin to walk quite a bit and I told him he was on his own, that I wasn't going to hold on anymore. He seems to do better when I don't hold on - probably because he has to. So I am going to remove his 'safety net' and make him learn his balance better. Of course, I will probably second guess this when he falls for the first time, but that's part of the process, I guess.

And I am sitting in the bathroom again writing this and I can hear Kevin in the bedroom practicing his words. He's just going through the list, but he gets quiet for a while sometimes while he tries to remember another one he might know. We haven't had speech therapy since we got here so I am glad to hear him doing it.

And speaking of the list of words, it is also in a box somewhere. Katherine, our speech pathologist, gave me his complete list and as soon as I find it I will type it all out for you guys. I remember someone asking for it a while ago.

And now my battery is almost dead so I need to sign off.

10 comments:

LISA said...

Leslie,

These photos sure can bring a happy smile to all of our faces. Animals are such good therapy.

Tell Kevin..be careful, as those things could truly bite off his finger and he certainly has been through enough. What a fun day you two sure did have.

I hope the "son"shine shines down on you two tomorrow and brings you peace and happiness. God Bless and be with you always.

Happy Mother's Day..now it's official, as it's after midnight.
Enjoy your day.

STAY STRONG and keep taking those wonderful pictures. They add so much to your blog.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a really fun day! Thanks for posting the pictures! :) I'm glad Kevin is back to smiling and joking!
Happy Mother's Day Leslie!
Kathy in IA

Jan said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY Leslie!!!

Tell Kevin I am extremely jealous, how I'd love to get that close to a zebra! So cool....

Barbara B. said...

Happy Mother's Day, Leslie. You are the most dedicated mother! You inspire me. Have a great day today.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Leslie, you're a good Herd Lady!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day honey, and what a Mom you are. Looks like you guys had a good time. Just what you both need. I love the pictures Leslie. Take care I love ya. Pam

Grant Grdunac said...

those last 2 pics were priceless!

happy mothers day as well!

Shawnsgirl315 said...

Happy Mother's Day! You definitely deserve to hear that as often as we can type it. Hope you guys have a great day!

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day, Leslie. I wish for you the very best, and that the miracles and joys begin to overwhelmingly outweigh any of the pitfalls you have. May all you wish and hope for be yours. Love. Hugs and prayers. Always.

Jessica said...

Happy Mother's Day, Leslie! I'm glad you had a great day yesterday with the animals. It warms my heart to see Kevin absolutely having a ball.

I hope you were able to do something fun today! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.