Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 345 - May 11, 2009

Today was a pretty uneventful day. Kevin apparently wiped himself out yesterday with all that walking and didn't do his PT or much of anything else. He mostly slept all day.

We did find out that our case manager here at BAMC still hasn't done the paperwork to request our return trip home and frankly - I am starting to get pissed off. We have been here a week and a half already for no good reason. Just send us home already!! I really don't understand why he just won't get the paperwork done!

And here's a question some of you may be able to answer...can we just leave? Can we just drive back to FL? I mean, we aren't technically having any therapy (Pam is just working on his arm out of the goodness of her heart), so do we have to stay here? We have no appointments, no scheduled surgeries, nothing. Do we have to wait for the Army to send us home or can we just leave? I would really like the answer to that question because we really just want to go home (we were supposed to go home last Thursday and now he is saying it won't be before this Thursday). This one room thing is just killing us both. It would be different if Kevin was 'all there' mentally, but he just isn't enough for me to leave him up in the room all by himself for any length of time. And frankly - my butt hurts from sitting on the lid to the toilet all the time. It's the only place I can go to have a light on to write the blog and read while Kevin is sleeping. I don't think I have ever spent so much time in the bathroom in my life!

Well, time to read the fourth book I have read since we got here. I really wish I would've had The Shack and My Stroke of Insight while I was here. I could've at least gotten them both read...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As sad as it is, I don't believe you and Kev can just leave.because he is still technically active duty, right? They may allow it if you took leave but you'd still have to go through the Mother May I and wait. Can you speak to the case managers supervisor?

Catherine said...

I wouldn't leave either, the last thing you want is for him to be considered AWOL - that could jeopardize his future medical care! Be patient my friend!!

Anonymous said...

I know Breezy was flying here, there and everywhere. The airlines must love you. ; )

It's a shame she is not still living in Texas. Is there anyone in Texas you know or met that you could possibly stay with, just to get you out of that bathroom until you are released to come home ?

The beautiful Mother's Day happened in Texas. A positive came out of a negative.

Miss Em said...

Leslie,

If Kevin doesn't have orders stating that he is moving from location to location then he is in BIG trouble---ABSENT WITHOUT LEAVE (AWOL).

You can take it to his/her supervisor if for nothing else to find out why the paperwork has not been completed.
It maybe that they are waiting for a "Volunteer Aircraft" or a Military Aircraft in order to spare Kevin the long 'car-ride' home.

Take a pillow and blanket to the bathroom and stretch out in the
tub(?) or on the floor. Better than getting tired ring-around-the butt from sitting on the toliet. [sorry, couldn't pass that one up. snicker, snicker. been there done that with a book, also.]

Take care and keep reading.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie...Maybe you should go get a book light at Walmart then at least you can sit on the bed to read...They just clip on the top of the book and only shine the light on the page so it shouldn't disturb Kevin while he sleeps, you can also get them to clip onto your laptop screen to light up the keyboard...They are both great tools to have in your bag of tricks that you may need in now and in the future...Good luck and try to keep the faith...

Anonymous said...

You can't leave - as all are right, he would be charged AWOL, which is a disciplinary offense.

BUT . .. you can use the chain of command. Go up the chain of command and ask all the questions and tell WHAT you have had to endure. If that person doesn't help you, insist you speak to the next in command.

Also, keep your composure. Be specific and be accurate. The chain of command is in place for a reason - use it!

Jessica said...

Ugh, that is just maddening that you can't leave! I hope today brought more progress with getting things in order. I'll be thinking of you both and praying you can get the heck out of there asap!

The Rock said...

Hi Leslie
Be patient You don't want to leave there without them " making you leave ". The Military is weird that way .
It would drive me crazy 2 , no privacy and sitting in the Bathroom must be terrible for you !
But this Too, shall pass...
Hope you find some Answers !
You are in my prayers !
Hugs
Petra
Soldiers Angel