Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 338 - May 4, 2009

Whew! What a busy day. We met with so many doctors today it was unbelievable. We were also reunited with Pam and Melanie - the two occupational therapists that we just loved when we were here the last time. Y'all might remember Pam as the one that would jump in puddles just to get a smile out of Kevin. We sure missed both of them!

And it turns out that we won't be having any surgery while we are here. We will be coming back each month for a while and having surgery each time. Frankly, it's so tiring thinking about traveling back and forth, but I guess there isn't much of a choice if we want all of these things fixed.

We did have a rough emotional time today too. We began the process for the burns section of Kevin's med boards (the evaluation for discharging from the Army). Kevin had to stand naked and have many photos taken of all his 'defects'. That was rough. I could see him getting more and more upset because there were many things pointed out that I don't think he realized were issues. I sure didn't mention them, but they came to light today.

Immediately following the photos being taken, I could see Kevin was upset so we left the hospital and on the way out we passed a large crowd of soldiers. I think at that point Kevin realized exactly what he has lost - at least in regards to his career choice. He really loved being a soldier and it has to be hard to not be able to talk, walk or even cut up your own food - after being so incredibly strong and independent. How rough it was to watch him just start to lose it. I just about ran him to the car and we drove off quickly and I just kept driving so he could just cry. He truthfully has been upset on and off for the better part of the day. I guess this is just one more step in the process...

And Breezy is going home to PA tomorrow. It's time for her to get back to work as I can't afford to support her any longer. Kevin is doing better now too, so I don't need as much help anymore (if I keep telling myself that I will eventually believe it, right?). I think she is looking forward to 'going home' so the timing is really right. It's going to be sad though - both because we will miss her and because we want to go home too.

Oh well, it's just not in our cards...

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Aww, sounds like rough day. And kind of a let-down to hear that he won't be getting surgery this week. But at least the process is started and Kevin is going to be happier in the end, when it's finished. As ever, my heart goes out to him for what he continues to go through, dealing with his losses. And to you, as his mom, watching him go through it. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. I hope tomorrow is a brighter day.

Lucy Jane said...

I'm sorry for what Kevin had to go through today...it doesn't sound like they treated him with much dignity in the way they chose to list all his "defects". It just doesn't seem right to me, to do all that while the soldier can hear what is being said. Kevin is still a soldier and even if this was for his discharge, it doesn't sound like they did it with much respect. You will always have our thanks and respect, Kevin! Many angel hugs to you both!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I just think that it just goes on and on doesn"t it? I will tell you once again not only Kevin but You are my HERO. I e-mailed you a picture honey did ya get it??? Yep you know me to well. It only took me a week to figure it out. Take care honey. I love ya. Pam

Kris said...

Praying so hard for your strength Leslie, and for all of you. God I just can't imagine what Kevin is going through, what he and you all have already been through. We're all out here praying for you, praying for the massive amounts of strength that you need and more. God bless you all, hoping for a good day today for you.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

Boy, I have not felt this sad reading your blog in awhile but this was a killer. Ok, now we have to find some lemonade in this big fat lemon. 1)Kevin knows his physical injuries now and he had to know sometime. I think he is possibly ready to begin working towards acceptance - he seems so much stronger than a couple months back 2) now that he has seen what he has lost, maybe he can work harder to restore some of his motor/verbal skills. Perhaps this hospital experience, especially seeing the soldiers, in a backhanded way can be a blessing in disguise. Maybe you can say to him, "ok let's kick butt and get going - this will NOT keep you down!" Maybe a goal, like challenge Kevin to improve in some manner so that next month Melanie and Pam will again notice and say "Wow - what a difference!"

I know it is easy for me to say but sometimes something really unpleasant has pushed me to do something I would not have done otherwise.

Hang in there - I am so proud of both of you.

Hugs,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us uptodate on Kevin's process. I am so sorry he had to endure the photos. I will be praying for him even more today!

Unknown said...

Tears are flowing here for Kevin! The situation was entirely different, but I know how terribly hard it is to watch even an adult child in pain. I am so sorry Kev and any parent has to go through this! May God strengthen you both as you continue on this path of healing!