Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 355 - May 21, 2009

Kevin did so remarkably well today that even I was amazed. He was able to handle almost everything - the only thing he couldn't was all the birthday singing at Texas Roadhouse for dinner.

So to begin our day (lots of photos today) we went to my work and visited with my friends. It was just so nice to see everyone and I regret that I didn't take one picture while there. I do plan to go back and visit again so I will at that time.

We then went to the grocery store where Kevin worked and we hung out there for quite a while. Kevin walked into the store instead of riding in his wheelchair and the first person he saw was Moe. Fitting - as she is his second mom. Here is a pic of the two of them:



After that, we went up to the Allstars for lunch and that pizza with ranch dressing, bacon, onions and green peppers was even better than I remembered! Heaven, I say!

While we were there, some of Kevin's friends came down and here is a pic of Kevin getting in Evan's face. Kevin was a ham all day and had everyone laughing their butts off.



This photo is of some of the 'gang' that got together while we were having lunch. Notice Kevin's not even holding onto his cane - he is holding his beloved skateboard! (oh, and I don't think I mentioned yet that Kevin has been taking steps without his cane so he probably won't be using it much longer)



This next photo is of Kev and some of the guys. They had gotten everyone to sign a 'get well soon' skateboard and Kevin was checking it all out:



Here is Kevin checking out his very own skate park:



And these next two he is 'skating'. Notice he is trying to actually jump his board (Ollie?) I'll bet he is doing it by next year:




This next photo is of Kevin and one of the councilmen (Jeff) who came down to unlock the skatepark (not sure why it was locked? defeats the purpose if you ask me...). If y'all read the comments, Jeff posts sometimes and it was a real pleasure to finally meet him.



While at the park, Tracy called and we then popped over to her house for about 15 minutes and I stupidly didn't take pics there either.

And then we went to dinner and here is a 'family' photo. It's of Moe and her boyfriend, then me, then my sis Kim, her mother in law Anne, down to Kevin, my nephew Michael and my bro in law Joe:



We really had a great day all around and I can only hope that Kevin continues to handle everything so well. I have a funny feeling that it is going to be awful hard to go back to Florida...

10 comments:

Barbara B. said...

AWESOME! JUST AWESOME!!!! What a difference a year makes. ON THAT SKATEBOARD! WOW!!! (Ummmm, helmet please.) Leslie....you win...I could never measure up to the mom you are. I am humbled. Enjoy your vacation at "home".

LISA said...

Leslie and Kevin,

Welcome home. : )

What a long journey it has been..your trip home to East Brady, but the long journey the last year has been one not traveled alone.

Through the Grace of God and with Him carrying Kevin, you and Brianna every step of the way, we see the miracle in front of us through your pictures. You have had us...certainly...but the millions of prayers that child has received speaks volumes. We have all witnessed the power of prayer.

All of the photographs are wonderful, but I especially like the one with Kevin and all of his friends beside Allstars with Uni Mart in the background. The American flag flying just perfect is the icing on the cake in this shot. It's hard to get a shot with the flag looking like it was cut out and glued in that position is remarkable. I think it happened as a tribute to Kevin. It's an amazing shot...good job.

Have a wonderful time when you are home. Hope we bump into each other..it's been a long time. I still have your two heart bears for you and Brianna..the ones I was going to send when you told us it was so lonely sleeping when you first went to be with Kevin. I never sent them as you had too much stuff in cramped quarters. Maybe you can take them back on your car ride home. : )

This is a positive post..but there's something that's been on my mind ever since I saw a picture of the swimming pool you are putting in. If Kevin surprised you in that big new house and walked a long way to get to you, is it possible he could get to the pool alone.. say even if you were sleeping ? I've always been a worrier, but if I didn't ask and something happened...I'd never forgive myself.

He has made such progress and would never be where he is without your love, determination and care coaching him along. God has guided you and Brianna and cared for Kevin with each passing day. You were never alone. : )

When I now think of "Footprints In The Sand"..I think of Kevin. There is a reason for him being with us..a purpose.. or God would not have carried him to where he is today.

God Bless and once again..welcome home.

Jeff said...

Hey Kevin & Leslie,

It was a pleasure meeting you guys at the skate park yesterday. I'm so glad you got to see the park up close.

Kevin you have come such a long way it's remarkable, I'm so happy for you. I venture to say that by next year you will be on those ramps scaring your mom to death.

Enjoy your vacation here in Brady.

God bless,

Jeff

Long-time RN said...

Fantastic photos! Moe looks like she could be your sister as well! The look on Kevin's face, smiling and relaxed, is fabulous! So happy for you all! Kick back and enjoy!!

Jenny Adams said...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome day... love the pic of Kevin in front of his very own sign to the skate park... like... famous!!!
Jenny in Australia

Kris said...

SWEET. I'm sitting here smiling but my eyes are sweating at the same time :) This sounds like the best therapy yet for Kevin - and you, Leslie! The pics are just incredible, amazing, wonderful, a million other things!

For the record, I'll have to side with Kev on the birthday singing at the restaurant; good grief that's hard for anyone to handle! :)

God bless you and have a great day today.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Jodi said...

WOW! I am smiling and crying at the same time. The pictures are AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I am so happy for you two to be home with friends and family at this time. You have such a large support group and that is great! I hope you have a fantastic vacation and enjoy every minute.
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

bigD said...

Hi Leslie and Kevin,
So WONDERFUL to hear some happiness in your voice Leslie. It seems you are both really enjoying your visit.
Your writing sounds so relaxed, I am glad that things are going well for both of you! Kevin looks great with the skateboard, who knows the skateboarding might inspire him to really get moving farther and faster. I have a skateboard (seriously I do) but I am too scared to get on the damn thing other than to just stand there...skateboarding is not an endeavor for the faint of heart. Can't wait to see Kevin doing an Ollie or two, some nosegrinds, heel flips and a varial 360?...ha, ha, I only vaguely know what I am talking about. I bet Kevin would love seeing the Dew Tour, it will be in Orlando, Florida for the weekend of October 15-18. They have all the action sports including, street skate, vert skate, street and vert BMX, FMX, and more. They used to have one in Baltimore every year, but, this year they had to cancel it due to conflicts with the baseball games. I was so BUMMED, I have been for the past three years. If you are not too far from Orlando, I bet Kevin would love to see it. If you are interested I can give you a heads up on how they format each day etc.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit as much as this day. Take care Leslie, you and Kevin are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely AWESOME!!!

I am so glad you are "home".

Being just down the road from you in Ford City, I would love to see Kevin and the whole family; but I do not want to intrude on your "family" get back home time. You all deserve to ENJOY this great time together.

Post lots of pictures. Kevin's stance is straighter and he actually is hard to pick out of all the boys together.

This is GREAT, AWESOME, SUPER . . .the best Memorial Day message. I am at a loss for words.

GO PENS!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures! It's wonderful to see Kevin enjoying himself with his friends. I love that get well soon skateboard, much better than a card for a guy! Praise God he's doing so well with all the attention. I hope today was just as good. You're both in my thoughts and prayers!