Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 483 - Sep 24, 2009

Wowzers! Y'all wouldn't believe how wonderful Kevin looks!! Here is a photo I took this morning when they removed his head bandage, but first there is one from back in June when we were here for his neck/chin surgery. This will really show you the difference in his head (also, as an FYI, Kevin is still swollen from all of the fluid from his surgery and isn't really that chubby in the face, lol)




And notice that they really didn't cut even one hair on the kid's head? Yep! And believe it or not, he is allowed to shower and wash his hair tomorrow (yikes!). Oh and they used some sort of 'super glue' on his wound vac site so there are no stitches there! Modern medicine, huh?

But what a difference, right? I told both of those docs (neurosurgery and plastics) that they are both simply amazing and I meant it. I am just so impressed and can't believe the changes in Kevin. (and I am very mad at myself for choosing to stay in Tampa for the cranioplasty! I have only myself to blame for Kevin having to go through this 'fix it' surgery on his head!!)

And I realize that you can't see either the trach site or the wound vac site, but they are both phenomenal looking as well! I would have NEVER thought that these things could be fixed so well! I am honestly still shaking my head in wonder.

So anyway, we are out of the hospital and back over at the guest house. I am hoping that Kev gets a good night sleep as you get none while in the hospital and luckily he is already working on it. I can hear him snoring from the next room. So this is my chance to get a little tv in. I hope there is something good on!

10 comments:

blsnow said...

He looks wonderful! He's finally starting to look like the old Kevin again. I hope he gets to feeling much better soon.

Take care!

Brittany Snow

Jessica said...

I'm so thankful that this surgery went well! Kevin looks good and I'm sure he's happy about keeping his hair.

Try not to be too hard on yourself about the first cranioplasty. I blame the crummy doctors who made the mess, not you! And crummy doctors are everywhere, not just the VA, unfortunately, so it's really hard to know whom to trust and where to go, unless you have inside information, which most of us don't.

I'll be praying for you all, especially for Kevin's quick recovery. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Prayers answered. He has been through hell and back. God is always carrying this young man. Footprints.

He looks good. He sure bounces back quick. Always praying for all. Will never quit.

Shawnsgirl315 said...

Wow, he looks absolutely amazing!!!!! That is so wonderful to see how well the surgery turned out for him. A big thanks to the surgeons from all of us too!
Michelle

Alison said...

Kevin looks great! Thank you to the docs and nurses who did the surgery! Wonderful job.

Hope he is feeling better and back on his feet soon. :)

Long-time RN said...

Wonderful news!
Hope Kevin slept well and you got some TV time last evening. Thoughts and prayers for continued healing.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything turned out so well! It's ok, you wouldn't have known how the surgery was going to turn out ahead of time in Tampa. Everything looks amazing now! :)
Hope you are able to rest some while you are there.
Take care and have a great weekend!
Kathy in IA

Jodi said...

HOLY CRAP!! Kevin looks AMAZING!! Wow!! That is so wonderful Les. I am so happy everything went well. Hope he continues to get better each day!

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aund Jodi

Anonymous said...

He looks great! You'll have young woman pounding on your door to get to him. ;-)
Glad everything is working out so well. I'm sure this will improve his moods too.

Bridget

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kevin looks really great! Especially when you see where he's come back from. I'm so happy for you both, and hoping that Kevin will recover quickly, and be back in the pool and on a trike. He's come such a long ways....I'm proud of such a brave man. Oops, always meant to say...Leslie I really like your blog page too.
Continued prayers for your family,
Anita Williams