Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 480 - Sep 21, 2009

Kevin's surgery has been postponed until Wed morning. I am fine with that as it gave us a day to kind of unwind and get over how bad yesterday was. Kevin ended up sleeping until 11:30 or so while I got up early and started making the endless amount of phone calls that I needed to make today. We then just went over to the hospital to the burn clinic for an appt and then we had lunch and just came back to the hotel and we both took naps. I sure wish naps were possible in Florida, but our schedule there is just too hectic.

And I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I opted to stay at Powless Guest House this time around as they just can't get the temperature regulated at the Fisher Houses here. It's not as nice (or as clean), for sure, but at least it's not 91 or 55 degrees in our room.

So anyway, I am very hopeful for this surgery - especially about Kevin's head. The neurosurgeon told me today that he believes he can alleviate quite a bit of (if not all) of Kevin's pain. Up until his cranioplasty - Kevin had had no real pain. He rarely needed any pain meds, but now we have both the pain patch and he is also taking many pain pills a day too. The doc said something about the nerve endings attaching to the scar tissue and that's what is probably causing all of the problems. I so hope so! It would be so great if Kevin didn't need the pain meds anymore!!

Oh and Kevin got weighed today. This is just so exciting! Not because he got weighed, but because he was ABLE to be weighed! Last time we tried, he wasn't putting any weight on his right leg and it was coming up 49 pounds. This time, he did put weight on it and he weighs...are you ready for this...a full 160 pounds!!!!

Kevin's eyes about bugged out of his face! Apparently he has never weighed this much and now he is determined to diet (although I doubt he will remember because he has eaten like a horse tonight). I think it will make a difference when we get the trike as Kevin will surely love that and it will burn some calories. Although the swimming also burns them, but who knows.

If you guys remember - Kevin weighed 112 pounds when we left here and went to Florida. Unbelievable, huh?

So now I am going to end with a few pictures from the last couple of weeks. This first one is Kevin racing Anthony across the pool. Kevin is the one completely submerged.



This one is of Kev, Breezy, Anthony and Chris and JT (the Marine and his mom). This was taken during one of the few good moments at the resort on Friday.



Here is Kevin 'hiding' in a cabinet we have for all of the pool toys and tools. He was playing hide and seek, I guess. LOL.



And this last one is of Kevin and Anthony, just sitting outside talking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a better day! Yeah! :)
I'm glad the neurosurgeon was hopeful with removing some or all of his pain. That would be wonderful!
I hope you can rest up a little today and that everything goes smoothly tomorrow!
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Rene' said...

Leslie, want you to know all at MOAA & USNI are sending our thoughts and prayers your way--for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for Kevin, and brighter days and years to come. Rene'

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow, thoughts and prayers are coming your way

Anonymous said...

Bless you all. Bless your strength. You are all in my prayers. Your son is my hero.