Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 473 - Sep 14, 2009

We had some really exciting things happen today. First, I had Kevin go and purchase bananas by himself today. I did go into Wal-mart with him, but I made him go find them (which he couldn't do so he came back to me and I found them for him and handed him some ripe ones as they were all the way at the top). I did have him go up to the register, wait in line and pay by himself though. You should have seen how proud of himself he was. I could kick myself for not taking a picture, but I just didn't think of it, darnit!

And...get this...Kevin went to therapy #3 with his aide today!!!! Yes - he allowed her to drive him and I got to stay home. I couldn't believe that he did it! When we were eating lunch I just made a joke about needing to pack and that Kevin should go with Parshall and he said 'ok'. I about fell through the floor.

I have to be honest and say that I thought he would change his mind before he had to leave, but he didn't. They jumped in the car and off they went. I know that Parshall was so excited, but it didn't even compare to what I felt. I can only hope that he will continue to allow her to take him.

Oh - and Maxim found a young guy to come and play video games with him. Once we get back from Texas we will have him start coming 2 days a week. For now I am opting to keep Parshall because Kevin has finally clicked with her. I don't want to just pull her out if she is now able to take him to therapy, kwim? And who knows if he will like this guy. We'll see, I guess.

And I talked to my friend Chris today (the Marine's mom) and she called to tell me about a weekend of 'fun and relaxation' for a few wounded warriors and their families. I have decide to take Kevin and Breezy (and Anthony too) as it is this Friday and Saturday. It's all expenses paid at The Sheraton in Clearwater so it's not far away and there will be a snook tournament (I am assuming it is a fish of some sorts). I know Kevin has wanted to go fishing for weeks now so he will really enjoy it. Personally, I think we will all enjoy it. Let's hope so anyway, lol.

And in case you missed my comment earlier - we are 'on' for the surgery now. YAY! I can't begin to tell you how worried I was about it not happening. But - it's back on so we are heading to Texas on Sunday. Kevin will be admitted to the hospital on Monday for surgery on Tuesday. He is just so excited!

And now I need to get things packed for my trip to DC. I am really excited to get the chance to speak and I am even planning to get in a little sightseeing if possible. Although I have been 'through' DC, I have never actually been there.

Here's hoping for a safe and uneventful flight...

8 comments:

Long-time RN said...

Great news! I'm so happy for you all that the surgery is ON! Very good reading of Kevin's eventful day.

Lorraine said...

Keep butt Take names Good Luck in DC YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Safe trip.
Lorraine & Rick

Lorraine said...

I meet Kick Butt. not keep butt

Unknown said...

Excellent....excellent!!! Safe travel and in DC, may all ears be open to your words, hearts open for all wounded soldiers and their families, and wisdom prevail.

Love, hugs, prayers...always

Kris said...

AWESOME UPDATE!!! You so deserve the moon and the stars and the sun to align the right way more often! Have a GREAT, safe trip to DC - you are really gonna kick some serious butt. And yes Leslie, they WILL remember you and your family. Know that we're all out here cheering you on the whole time!

God bless you all. Thoughts, prayers, support and loads of extra special Angel Hugs are always coming your way!! GO KEV!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear that you had such a wonderful day!
Your weekend of fun sounds like just what all of you need!
Have a safe trip! :)
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Again, you made my whole day! Too much good stuff in one morning - have to go take a nap and recooperate from all the excitement.

I am very anxiously awaiting news from your DC conference. I have been waiting for this day to come since the first day you mentioned it! I am so proud of you.

GOD bless,

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Hi, I forget what this surgery is for!! Sorry. LOL But I have been following and I know that you said that you ALL would be disappointed if it didn't happen. Could you please remind me? Thanks. Best of luck in DC!! Maybe you can get some sleep! Michelle Long