Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 469 - Sep 10, 2009

I really think it's great that everyone has discussed the dog as a companion (I had even gotten an email from Rene - the person that invited me to DC - discussing this very thing earlier), but that is the ONE AND ONLY THING that I will not do for my kids.

I hate dogs. Sorry. But there it is. I know I'm strange, but that's just the way I am.

I can't even begin to tell you that when I see a dog on tv and a person is kissing it, I just about throw up - literally.

To be honest, I am not much of an animal person all around, but I have agreed to a cat. We were trying to wait until after Project Victory as we won't be here much, but instead I decided to use it as part of the 'make up for it plan' if the surgery doesn't happen as intended - meaning that if we don't go to Texas next week to have his head repaired, we will go get a cat then.

Truthfully, I can't even believe I am doing the cat thing as I am already overtaxed as it is, but I know it will be best for the kids. BUT - they are going to have to take care of it. I have more than enough on my plate taking care of Kevin.

So anyway, thanks again for all of the dog comments and I know that everyone means well (and I also know that there is no possible way anyone could know about my loathing of dogs), but that is SOOOOOO not gonna happen.

And changing the subject - oddly enough Maxim called me today to see how the aide was doing with Kevin. I was honest and they did tell me that they just don't have anyone that fits the bill yet, but they are trying really hard. They are going to start to phase out the current one though and wouldn't you know that Kevin had a blast with her today? They went for a walk together and he was joking with her all day. I swear he does this stuff just so I don't know if I'm coming or going, lol.

And I do agree with you Miss Em about the possible trust issues. It can't be easy being partly at the mercy of someone else and with everything that has happened to him it would be hard to trust anyone.

And Bonnie - we actually do leave Kevin with her more and more often. He just refuses to come out of his room when we aren't here. I thought it would get better over time, but it hasn't.

Amy Grace - I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you, but I am glad that you at least could work out some sort of system that enabled you to get some rest. So far, we just haven't found what works. Kevin had me up until 7am just this morning and I had to get back up at 10:30 because he wouldn't go to therapy with Breezy. This is normal for me as some nights I just don't get any sleep at all and most are under 3 hours (if it's not Kevin it's my phone ringing).

At this point, I don't think he does realize that I have basic needs too and I sincerely hope that this part of him comes back to us. We have been trying to 'teach' him that things don't always have to be about him, but he's just not catching on yet.

And Kevin did get into the pool for over an hour this evening. Usually he gets tired really fast, but not today. He is just such a strong swimmer and I discussed the Special Olympics with him today. He wasn't all that receptive, but he didn't slam the idea out of the water (pun intended, lol) either. Now I just need to remember where I heard about that...

8 comments:

Jan said...

How did I miss the dog discussion? It must have been in yesterday's comments. Haven't read them yet.

We love our pets here - cats. If you REALLY don't like them though, don't let anyone talk you into a pet. You'll just end up miserable. Although I didn't like cats much myself when I took one in temporarily for a family menber EIGHT YEARS AGO. He's still here because I fell in love and now we have, well, a lot of cats.

Jenna said...

Hi Leslie,

We have 2 cats in our house - it's great because they are brothers and have been together since Day 1 so they play together a lot and are pretty low maintenance. Don't get me wrong, they love cuddle time and play time too.

I was looking for the link to Kevin's Benefit Blog site - hoping there are still cookbooks available - I would like to order them for Christmas gifts but can't find it. Can you give us the link again?

Thanks so much!

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Ok, I understand re: dogs, even though I love my little Cavalier Spaniel, but cats are nice, too, in a different way. I have two cats also. Some unsolicited advice: get an adult, older than two. Not all cats are cuddly and with a kitten, not only will you have the possibility of a kit's scratching Kevin and bouncing off the walls (in a very cute way), but you just don't know how cuddly and sweet they will turn out when they grow up.

I spent three years working at the SPCA with cats, observed a lot, and heard lots of stories from clients. In my unscientific opinion, orange tabbies (usually male) are extremely friendly lap cats and were very popular. Sleek black cats and what we called Russian Blues (darker short gray hair) were consistently people oriented, too. The calico and tortise shell cats, for some reason (females) were the least friendly. By that, I mean they didn't seem to like to be held all that much. Like I said, this is just my general observation and nothing more.

I don't let my cats out of the house without being with them the whole time (in my back yard). Typically, they live much longer that way.

Hugs,

Cathy M

Holee said...

Someone once said to me that if your not needed there is no reason to get out of bed.

I wonder if it's time for some tough love. There are so many places that pack items for the military to send to them, or the homeless,etc. Maybe you could find something for Kevin & the aide to volenteer an hour. Maybe Kevin needs to be shown that life is not all about him and even children cry when they are put in the care of a sitter, but in the end, they adjust.

I was also wondering if he realizes that he is still in the military? Maybe sending him out in his military work clothes to do something for someone would help him connect to being needed.

Maybe even get him & the aide busy making something he could deliver to the guys in the hospital for the holiday, like halloween stuff. Not so much for the guys but to give Kevin a sense that he is working and needed.

I think just like Mom's need to break away, you'll have to do that and force him out of the bedroom, even if you have to lock it when the aide is there and just leave the house for a while.

Anonymous said...

A cat is a big responsibility too contrary to what people say. Once they start to wet in your house, it stinks and they keep going back to that spot. The litter box needs kept very clean. Most frown upon declawing, but many people own declawed cats and it sure saves from getting infected scratches.
A suggestion as to the night situation and sleeping days away ( "kids staying in bed all day" ). If all lights are out at night and all activity stops, bedtime is bedtime. If night becomes day sure people are going to want to sleep the day away. Some people just work the night shift but in your case it sounds like the lights need to go out at night for everyones sake. That doesn't sound like a luxury anymore since it is causing a conflict. I see where a night time sitter would be helpful to "watch Kevin sleep" so you and Breezy can sleep peacefully too, to have a productive next day.

Anonymous said...

JOB -

Hey It's me again - see the message from Vanessa -

"Hi Jessica. I'm sure you're busy, but when you talk to your cousin please have her resend her resume. Matt said he didn't get it. The email is mhall@vaco.com or send to me at vhall@metlife.com "

Let me know if you hear anything - I'm going to send it to Breezy on myspace too.

Jess

mikki said...

Hi Leslie... I'm sorry that I don't check in better with you. I was reading about your GPS and this link was sent to me and I thought I would forward it your way.
It says it's acurate within 49 feet...
I keep this info in my files, because my son sometimes scares me by wandering away. gives me heart palps just thinking about it. thinking about you!!!
I was also wondering about therapy-trained dogs... if you have ever been around one, they are so calm... it's amazing... they are so well behaved that you don't feel like you have a dog.
anyway- I'm just typing out loud...<3 mikki

mikki said...

duh.. forgot the link:
https://www.amberalertgps.com/