Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 475 - Sep 16, 2009

Kevin and Breezy are having a good time without me. I am so glad about that because the last time he cried the whole time I wasn't there. I will admit that it has been a little rough for me being away, but I also got a whole night's UNINTERRUPTED sleep last night and it felt so good!

So today went very well (I think). I don't really remember what I said, but I did get a standing ovation so I must have said something right, lol. Actually - seriously - I think it's because I cried at the end of my speech. I did. Most of you know by now that I just don't cry very often, but today I did. And I think that's why people clapped - because they know that I am not up there bullshitting them - what I said I meant and what I said was true.

I do remember speaking about how this has been such a horrible experience and it really has been made worse because of the lack of care and information from both the VA and the Army. I can only hope that someone heard me and the other panelists and changes are made - not just for us - but for all of the wounded and their families.

And I did meet a lot of wonderful people and it was so nice to sit at dinner with some of the others that have a loved one with a TBI and listen to their stories. Sometimes it's hard not really having anyone to talk to that understands what it's really like. But today I did and I learned a lot of things both politically and personally. Things that other families have had to deal with and places they have gotten help from.

If nothing else comes out of this, at least I will walk away with some information - most of it is too late to help - but still...I know more today than I did yesterday.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY well written blog tonight. Good for you. It's a shame someone hasn't video taped this event. That would be nice to bring home to the kids and keep forever.

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie,

I opened up my local paper "The Derrick" this morning to see a picture of Kevin and Breezy on page 2. It is with an AP story about the forum you spoke at yesterday. You are even quoted in the article! Here is a link to the story on the AP site (it wasn't on the Derrick site). Unfortunately, there is no photo on the AP website. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MILITARY_MENTAL_HEALTH?SITE=AZPHG&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Great Job!!!

Wendy (Knox, PA)

Long-time RN said...

You must have made a hell of an impression. Just read about your appearance in an AP article on another news type website. Bravo, Leslie.

So glad Kevin is getting along well while you're away and YEAH on a good night's sleep!

Jess said...

Awesome I'm so proud of you!!! Hopefully your whole speech will be in a paper or website. Miss you and love you all!

Jess

Jess said...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/09/military_wounded_soldiermother_091609w/

Here is another link

Cheryl said...

Leslie, I'm so pleased you got to meet some of the other families and decompress for a few hours with them. You did a wonderful job on the panel and I heard nothing but good things about your input. Thank-you for speaking for so many who were not there.........

I know you were bombarded by a lot of new information and I can picture what your doing now, sorting through all the cards! (lol) Any help I can offer you know how to reach me......Hope to chat with you soon!

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

It sounds like you got the message across very well. In my bones, I don't feel you have heard the last from this conference experience.

At the very least, you have felt the support from others, who obviously have walked in your shoes. It is my hope that you will now seek out a support group in your area and that through the support of those whose loved ones also have TBI, you will gain more insight into TBI.

Did you give your blog address to anyone there?

Good job!

Cathy M

Anonymous said...

Me again,

I just did a Google on you and one article said that Tammy Duckworth, VA Assistant Secretary said she will look into the matter. Maybe something to hope for?

Cathy M

Mary Ripley said...

Leslie,

I am an employee and member of the Naval Institute, co-sponsor of the event you spoke at yesterday.

Thank You.

Thank you for your courage to sit up there and tell your story

Thank you for not sugar-coating your experiences when sometimes, maybe oftentimes, people in DC want to hear feel-good expressions of what they want to do vice what is actually happening.

Thank you for reminding everyone that the parents, the caregivers, outside of the spouse, rise to the occasion and take care of their children...well past childhood.

I had the privelege to tell you how much I appreciated your courage being on that panel.

I could kick myself for not thanking you for the enormous amount of courage you have to muster EVERYDAY to be what every parent should be: There.

To anyone who is wondering if we filmed this event. We did.

You were inspirational.

Thank You

Mary Ripley
Naval Institute

Anonymous said...

Leslie- Great article concerning the conference on the Stars and Stripes website. I read it on the Pacific Edition online.
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=64857

I did a search for our name to see if other places picked up your statements from the conference. I found this one and an article in an Atlanta paper. By telling Kevin's story and the struggles all of you have faced to the attendees at the conference you are getting world wide coverage. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Jessica said...

Good for you, Leslie! I knew you would do well. You're so good at getting your emotions across on your blog, I'm glad it translates in real life, as well. It sounds like you really made an impact and I pray that something good comes out of your awful experiences.

I'll keep praying for Breezy and Kevin coping at home without you. Glad to hear that everything is going well so far. Take care!