Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 671 - Mar 31,2010

Kevin was able to get up today and we made it over to the Family Center to rent a movie, but he was hurting too bad to spend any time there so we went back to the hospital without one. We tried though, right?

We also realized today that the anti vertigo medication fell away so he hasn't gotten any since the first day. We put him back on it this afternoon so hopefully we see a change.

We are going to be messing with his meds over the next week; taking some away and adding others, to try to get him to a better place. Wish us mega luck on this, please.

One really awesome thing today was that Kevin had acupuncture done for his nauseousness. Totally cool, as I had only seen it done in the movies, and I have to admit that we had no bouts of nausea at all tonight. The jury is still out on it in my eyes until tomorrow though. We have periods of a few hours where he is fine, but we haven't went a full 24 hours since the plate was removed.

And two good things happened today - first, we can get the key to the apt this Saturday instead of next Thursday. I am glad because this will give me time to get things organized before Kevin comes home.

Second, I opted to rent a washer/dryer instead. Way cheaper as I couldn't find a large capacity set on craigs list (where I had been looking for almost a week). People just aren't getting rid of large capacity sets, that's what everyone is buying right now.

As for the hospital bed, we are thinking it's not going to be a problem. All of the docs are in line with the need for it. Now we just need to figure out which insurance carrier is going to cover the cost.

Oh, and before I forget - can someone tell me what the dark green beret means? Kevin saw a guy wearing one when we left the hospital today and he was in total awe. Not being military myself and him not being able to talk, I couldn't even begin to guess what he was trying to tell me. I assume the guy was something special...

And now I am going to leave you with a very grainy photo of Kevin with Daniel, the other soldier that survived the attack that took Andrew and James from us:

8 comments:

Alison said...

The dark green beret signifies that the soldier is in the "Green Berets" -- the US Special Forces. I think I remember you mentioning that getting into Special Forces was Kevin's goal at some point? (I could be wrong, it was some time ago that you mentioned it...)

Maybe they could arrange for someone to come meet with Kevin for a visit. It might be a great boost for his confidence.

Glad to hear the apartment is getting situated and that you've found appliances. That's wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

The picture of the two heroes brought tears to my eyes! I'm not military, but Kevin & Daniel, I SALUTE YOU!!!

MorganW said...

Outstanding picture of Kevin and Daniel. They both look good. Keep up the good fight guys! I miss you both, brothers.

Kris said...

Sending loads of extra prayers and mega loads of luck that the med changes get Kev to a better place.

What an awesome pic of Daniel and Kev, it brought tears to my eyes as well. God bless you Kevin and Daniel and all of our heroes. God bless you all and thank you all from the very bottom of my heart.

Great suggestion from Alison! Maybe hanging out with a Green Beret could make Kevin a very happy camper.

Hope you have a good weekend, keeping fingers crossed that acupuncture helps!!

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

GrannieEv said...

I asked my Army son if there were different colored green berets, here's his answer: Nope, just one green beret, one black beret, and one maroon beret for the troops that are in an airborne unit.

(and his usual signature, even to his mom!)

MAJ Daniel H. Robinson

US Army Aviation

PEP - Singapore

Jessica said...

I hope the acupuncture helps Kevin. It's done wonders for my joint pain that I wasn't even expecting! It sure would be great if he could get on fewer meds. I will definitely be praying about that. And I'm glad to hear that the hospital bed should be covered by insurance.

Great photo! Does Daniel live nearby? That's great that they got to see each other again.

I'll continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Are you feeling any better?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful picture...
A.

joyce said...

There is an awesome Green Beret movie with John Wayne. Maybe Kevin would enjoy it?