Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 664 - Mar 24, 2010

Kevin had a better day today - most of the day anyway. We did go down to the cafeteria for lunch and he also went and did PT today.

We were given permission for him to go to the Fisher House for a few hours a day and that is when the day turned around for us. Breezy picked up dinner and I sent Kevin in to sit in the dining room while I went and parked the car. By the time I got into the house (it is very far away to the parking lot) Kevin was just overstimulated beyond belief. There is a small child in the house that isn't very well disciplined and he just screams all the time at the top of his lungs. Well, he was left to run screaming up and down the hallways and through the kitchen and it was just killing Kevin.

Now let me be the first to say that it's not that I expect everyone to be quiet just because we are around. Nobody should have to be silent and tiptoe around the house...BUT...when 21 families live together under one roof - everyone should at least be respectful to the rest of the families. You should at least consider the fact that most everyone here is wounded or ill in some way or another and people may be resting at any given time of the day or night.

But, it just doesn't matter because I will not be bringing Kevin back here. We had to pack all of our food back up and rush him back to the hospital to his room so he could shut the door and turn off all the lights for a while. I think it was a good hour before he de-stimulated (probably not a word).

It was just so sad. He was sobbing and crying while Breezy ran to get the car. His good leg was just bouncing off the floor and he started screaming and screaming in agony. It was just so heart-breaking.

He did get back to being better after a while though, but he never did eat his dinner. He really hasn't been eating much lately at all. (Yet he still gained another 5 pounds - he weighs 190 with his clothes on!!!)

And I was told today that we will not be able to go back to FL for a good year or so. I am hoping we can go in June for my niece's wedding, but we'll see. The docs are just worried that we don't have any doctors in FL and Kevin never shows advance signs of infection - never a fever, white blood count is always good - no signs at all.

So I don't have a choice but to find somewhere to live and fast. I am looking at two homes tomorrow (if Kevin feels well enough for me to go), but I am actually leaning toward an apartment that is in a definite good area of town. I am being open minded to the houses, but I was told tonight by a nurse that the area of the one is questionable. I'm still going to look though...you never know...

3 comments:

pommom said...

Praying for you
Janna

Anonymous said...

more prayers for you...

Lisa D in Cali

Miss Em said...

When I read about the child being allowed to run screaming though out the House, My heart began to cry because I knew that Kevin would NOT be able to handle any of that.

I'm with you on that. It the Mother was not available then maybe someone should have taken the child outside and let him run screaming out there where the sound has a chance to disapate instead of bouncing off of the walls to increase the power of it.

I was very glad that Kevin was able to have the time to de-sensatize from that experience and was abel to have a better evening/night.
Let's just say that sometimes one Just Can't eat when one's system in coming out of a overstimulated bout of nerves and pain which is very understandable from where my mind is sitting at this very moment.

Fingers and toes are crosses.
Sage smoke is rising with prayers.

For you to find a "Quiet space" for both Kevin and you to be able to heal in "peace".

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.