Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 660 - Mar 20, 2010

Kevin's kidneys are on the downhill slant for sure. We are so going backward. He really didn't feel well today either. Breezy came and stayed with him while I went and looked at another apartment and I am not sure, but I don't think he even got out of bed. The nauseousness did go away though, so the Nexium did do the trick for that problem anyway.

It is the weekend though, so we will have to see what everyone says on Monday.

The apartment I found today will work, kinda. It is still 20 minutes away (I think anyway - gotta re-drive out there when I leave here at midnight to make sure), but the traffic isn't AS bad in that direction. It is VERY expensive - what our mortgage is in FL - but at least it fits the bill in size (almost 1400 Sq Ft) and shower needs. I made sure there are no children above us, but the tenants above do have a small dog. I have asked for a clause in the lease that if the dog makes too much noise, we can break the lease without penalty. The complex is going to get with their corporate office on Monday and see. I also need VA approval on renting here, so we will see if it works out or not.

Long-time RN - you had asked if the hospital here has a list of apartments for these types of situations and I have two things to say about this:

1) We would normally get something like this from our burn case manager. We have only seen her 1 time in the 5 or 6 weeks we have been here. I believe we are supposed to be checked on nearly every day, but that doesn't happen. If you remember - the last time we were here - she didn't help us find a place then either. I just feel bad for those that have no one here to help them. What do these guys/girls do?

2) Because many of the other wounded also have her as a case manager, we have learned to help each other out. Many have given me names of some apt buildings that can accommodate Kevin, but they are all filled up. Too many wounded military personnel.

So we are basically on our own. It's ok though, I'll find something...or die trying, lol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Kevin feels better today and his kidneys are better too. I'm so glad the nauseousness went away.
Also pray that you find a place soon. I just thought of something. Have you ever considered a retirement community type living area? I don't know if Kevin would qualify but it would probably be more quiet with older people, the bathrooms would be handicap accessible, and things might be easier there. I don't know, just trying to think of all the options. We have some on our lake and they are beautiful! They have garages, the yard work is taken care of (which I'm sure the places you've looked at do too), and it just seems so peaceful. You just never know who your neighbors will be or how loud they will be wherever you go unfortunately. But I guess I feel like older people don't want the noise either and would be a good fit. Only because Kevin can't have the noise is why I'm thinking this way.
I hope everything works out soon for you, you deserve a break. That's for sure! :)
Have a great Sunday! I hope all of you have a nice day.
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Hope everything works out soon.
Keeping you in my prayers.
A.

Long-time RN said...

I'm sorry to read the case manager has not been an advocate or of help to you, and other it appears. Silly me, having a rollodex/file of available housing which meets specific needs would be high on the priority list, or so I'd think. Not to mention at least occassional contact with cases and his/her family members.

Sure hope Kevin's kidneys kick in soon and you find a place that meets your and Kevin's needs.