Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 642 - Mar 2, 2010

Kevin has been much better today, but he is still in ICU. We need him to be 'normal' for 24 hours before we will move him back up to a step down ward.

I can't begin to tell you how scared I was yesterday. We had replaced Kevin's Oxycontin with Methadone over the past week and it appears that he did get too high of a dose(or too many doses and maybe it all caught up to him). He was totally out of it. I don't think he knew who Breezy or I were at one point and he was angry and screaming at the top of his lungs. He was vomiting, we couldn't wake him most of the day, his body was having tremors and his vision was completely out of whack. I honestly thought he was dying.

My first instinct was that he was over-medicated, I even alluded to it on the blog here (I think?) previously, but the nurses all were concerned with ICP. Oddly enough, I hadn't even thought about that. Probably because he had moments of lucidity and you typically don't with ICP.

So anyway, they didn't give him his Methadone last night and when they went to this morning I asked them to wait until Pain Mgmt came in. They did end up cutting his dose by 25% so we will see what happens. I understand that we can't just pull him off completely; first because he would go through withdrawal and second because he would be in too much pain, but I just didn't think he should be given the same amount?!

I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes. I will let you all know as soon as I can.

8 comments:

karen said...

in my family, we over-react to medications. For example, when one sister was induced for labour, they gave her 1/4 of what they ordinarily give and that worked fine. Another sister didn't know this, wasn't as experienced or aware, and she got the full dose. She said it was completely out of control crazy. We have to be frozen differently to have our teeth worked on, and I react really badly to other meds on the rare occasion that I need to take them. When I was pregnant, the prenatal pills made me quite ill, building up in my system to the point where I was nauseous and fearing that I would pass out. None of us can consume more than a couple of shots of alcohol without becoming sick.

I wonder about doctors prescribing meds according to size and weight, but take nothing else into consideration like tolerance.

I don't know if this will help at all ... but I sure hope Kevin feels better soon. Tell him lots of people are pulling for him, if it helps.

Good thing you got those two nights of decent sleep, eh?! We're pulling for you too. G'night.

Anonymous said...

Prayers continuing...
A.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie and Kevin

Everything is still ongoing with candles, sage and prayers until I hear that Kevin is out of the swamps and on his way through the woods.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Well, never a dull moment for you guys, nosiree!

I think you have good instincts, Leslie, as far as what's going on with Kevin...so don't discount them and make sure the hospital staff know what you think.

I'm praying that all the changes will be effective in bringing Kevin to a better place in this healing process.

Hang in there Leslie, take care of yourself. We pray for you too.

Anita

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that my sister was on methadone for a long period of time. She is in constant pain from a bad car accident about 12 years ago. It was a very bad drug for her. It killed her emotions completly, she didnt care about anything and didnt get out of bed for about 3 years. I know many doctors think this is a great medication but these are just some things to keep in mind if you notice a difference when Kevin is through all of this. I pray you will all come through this well. I am so thankful for what our Solders do for all of us, my husband served a year and a half in Iraq and has emotional scars from the experence.

Long-time RN said...

Good to read Kevin is feeling a bit better. It's got to be tough adjusting the meds and keeping his pain level down. Hang in there, Leslie. Thoughts and prayers.

Alison said...

I am glad Kevin is doing better, and hope that with the reduced amount of painkillers, he will begin to show improvement. Prayers coming your way.

Jessica said...

I'm so relieved to hear that Kevin is improving. What a horrible scare for you all. And once again, your instincts were right on.

I'm praying that Kevin continues to improve quickly and that the doctors find a dose that his body can handle. May He grant you strength and peace as you deal with everything. Take care.