Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 645 - Mar 5, 2010

Kevin was finally discharged today! The Picc Line instructions seem simple enough so I should be able to handle it all. We'll see tomorrow if my thumb can handle it too. So he has this little softball sized and shaped piece of plastic that has his meds inside and it is released by gravity into his arm. He carries the ball in a fanny pack (He was soooo not crazy about having to wear that, lol. Totally uncool!) and it gets changed every 24 hours or so. This means we can travel about the area and do whatever we want.

We didn't do much of anything today though. Kevin still hurts when he is up and about for too long so we are limiting what we do. We did go visit Joel for a bit and a General Thurgood came to visit the ward today. Here are some photos of the General with both Kevin and Joel. I was so excited because it's the first time I had seen Joel up out of his chair. He was fitted with a prosthetic leg and he can walk and everything now. So proud.


This next photo is Joel, Maritza, Jose, Kevin and myself.



I would say it is just like old times, but back then none of us knew if our boys would ever wake up from their comas. Or live through the night. How far we have all come, huh? Not that we are medically stable by any means, but hopefully we are getting there and we are most definitely out of the acute stage.

And that's about it. Kevin is watching "The Jetsons" right now. He so loves his cartoons, lol.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It was great to see those pics. I am amazed at how far both of those boys have come and they wouldn't of come that far without their loving families. I would say those are 2 american heroes. God bless all of you.
debbie

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!
A.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that Kevin was discharged! :) Glad you can travel and do things without changing it for several hrs. So does he still have to take all the pills as well? Were they able to combine some of those meds inside the plastic?
Thank you so much for posting the pictures! It's so good to see everyone! I'm so glad Joel is walking too!
Have a great weekend! :)
Kathy in IA

Jessica said...

What a great photo of those three! It sure makes my heart swell with pride. I'm so glad to hear that Joel is doing getter and is out of his chair!

I hope the picc line is still working out. How is your apartment search coming along? I'll be praying about it and praying for you both. Take care.