Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 668 - Mar 28, 2010

I never cooked dinner and I just can't get Kevin to even try to go over to the FH. Frankly, he decided a few days ago that he is just going to stay in the hospital until the plate is put back in. He seems to understand when I say he can't be in-patient for 5 months, but he just doesn't care. This is going to be a really rough transition. I don't know if they can keep him there until the apartment is ready or not, I guess we'll see. I am really worried about all of this - more worried than I was when first taking him home.

At this point, I am just hoping that we can get him to the apartment and we'll take it from there. If he ends up being home-bound, surely I can get some help so that I can at least run for groceries. I feel confident that we can, I just really hate that we slid so far backward. He was doing so well, damnit!

In the meantime, I asked our case workers if there was a chance that Kevin could get a hospital bed for the apt. He has such extreme fluid issues that I worry about him laying flat. Now that I think about it, I believe the neurosurgeon mentioned keeping his head elevated some, so maybe they will get us one. I think I can pretty much guarantee that the VA isn't going to allow me to spend Kevin's money to buy him a bed that can elevate like that, so this is our only hope.

And I think I am going to go and just sit here for a few minutes. I am sitting outside in a rocker and if I close my eyes, I can forget the fence around the post and I won't see the checkpoint only 60 feet from my chair. I can just pretend I am sitting with Moe on the stoop at the video store, drinking a Pepsi and gabbing about how crappy (or good) our days were. Little did I know that those days can't compare to how crappy life is now...man, I would do anything to go back to those days...

7 comments:

Alison said...

Here is an idea. I searched for 'hospital bed' on the San Antonio Craiglist site. There are several for sale -- maybe this could be an option if you can't get one from the hospital?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=53&subAreaID=&query=hospital+bed&catAbbreviation=sss

I'm sure that you can find a bed somehow. It's just a matter of getting Kevin out of the hospital and into the apartment. I hope his mindset about leaving the hospital changes for the positive, and soon.

Is there anything you guys need? Gift cards for places to furnish the apartment? Certificates for food places that deliver? A rocking chair for the apartment so you can sit and relax?

Praying for all of you that things improve, and pronto...

Anonymous said...

You know there are a lot of people out here who would love to somehow make this all better for you and Kevin. And I know that doesn't do much for you - it doesn't change the fact that this life is the one you have, now. But I hope it helps some at least to know that others are listening, and do care ... Hugs to you, Leslie. You're a wonderful mom.

Linda said...

Oh Leslie, My heart goes out to you. Iknow that isnt much comfort, but I don't know what else to say or do. You please remember if there is anything at all I can do...just ask! As always, my prayers are there with you and Kevin.

Moe said...

Man, I wish we could go back to those days too!
You have no idea how many times I walk past that
stoop, and think the very same thing! I'm still always
here for you no matter what! Your my Bestfriend, and I
love ya, no matter where our " stoop" is! Sending a big
hug your way! Miss you!
Love Always, Moe

Sherri said...

Oh,Leslie, I so wish that you and Moe were still sitting on that stoop too. That will always be the video store to me, and I often drive by or walk by and visualize you there. East Brady just isn't the same without you. I'd often come to the store not so much because I wanted a movie, but just so we could visit. Those were good times and I sure do miss you. Please know you are in my thoughts everyday. Love you, Sherri

Cathy M said...

Oh, I love the concept of finding your/our stoop(s) in life! My stoops are my mom, my friends, my dog's warm, soft fur,the peaceful walking trail near my home, and most importantly, my God.

Through all of these challenges,just keep going to your stoop, wherever it may be, to find some temporary peace.

You are such a lovely writer - so open and espressive.

Hugs.

GrannieEv said...

The Lions Club may be able to help. There are 19 clubs in the San Antonio area. My friend here in TX used to store medical equip. for them ... all kinds of equip. They help with other than just glasses. I've provided a link to SA Clubs:

http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/find-a-club.php?page=1&f=1&city=s&cs=TEXAS