Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 651 - Mar 11, 2010

Today was another rough day. It started out ok, but we decided to go to Breezy's and have a nice dinner there. We started out and found that due to all of the construction, the roads are very bumpy. Kevin was in so much pain due to all of the bumps - just like the last time he had no plate in his head.

So it was so bad that he wouldn't even get out of the car once we got to her house. He didn't think he would be able to get up the few steps it took to reach her door. I really was at a loss as to what to do. I knew if he just lay down for a bit the pain would go away (with the help of some pain pills), but I really couldn't see how to get him up the steps. I also knew that it was rush hour and it would take over an hour to get back to the Fisher House - re-hitting all of the bumps.

We decided to just sit in front of her apartment in the car for about 45 minutes and we hoped that the pain would go away. It didn't, but it was close to 6pm by then so we left, hoping that the traffic might have died down. It was actually pretty good and we made it home in a decent amount of time.

But then we came into the house and there was a birthday party for one of the little girls that is here. First I felt bad for Kevin because I knew he couldn't handle the noise, but then I felt bad for the little girl because she had no other kids at her party.

But, Kevin's my priority so I just got him into the room and into bed. I tried to be so quiet stumbling around in the dark, but he was so overstimulated at that point that I knew it was best for me to leave the room. So I did.

I went out to the living room and had a little pity party. It really just does suck that we can't catch a break. I would say both Kevin and I have accepted what has happened to him/us, but all the other crap just needs to go away. We just want to get on with our lives and not have all these medical emergencies and not have to deal with all the red tape.

But, it is what it is, I guess. So suck it up, Les, and continue on. Right?

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hi
No you are right enough is enough. You both need a break.
I wish for a good weekend for you, but doubt that you will the way things are going for him. I send HUGS your way.
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Leslie, I agree with you. All of this just sucks! But I truly believe there are brighter days ahead. You are made of some strong stuff and I pray that those days you feel overwhelmed and Kevin faces immobilizing pain, that a strength beyond yourselves will carry you through.
I'm sad the Operation Homefront apt. didn't work out, but those stairs could have also become a deal breaker.
Please give Maritza and Jose my greetings when you see them next. It was great seeing their picture. I had only seen Joel from the back before.
Love to you, Kevin and Breezy!
Janet

Anonymous said...

"Hugs" to you! I pray that today is a better day.
Hope you have a good weekend as well.
Take care,
Kathy in IA

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had such a rough day and missed a nice dinner with your daughter...
That was a smart idea to visit at the door until you could go back home.
Keeping everyone in my prayers...
A.

Kris said...

It's incredible that you don't have more pity parties than you do. Praying that you at least get a break, somewhere, somehow. I wish you could get some time for your health - I think at this point it's mandatory that you do.

God bless you Leslie, praying so hard for you. It's impossible to imagine the amounts of strength that you need every day.

- Kris, a Soldiers' Angel from RI

Cathy M said...

You write with such gritty honesty. When you are angry,in a light-hearted mood, tired, frustrated, etc.it comes out so strongly in your writing.

I could feel your sadness and frustration while reading your blog today, but more than anything I could sense your kindness when you made note of a little girl at a birthday party that no one attended.

God bless you, Leslie.

Debbie Carnahan said...

Leslie,
I had a book mailed to Brianna's house for you all to read. I have been borrowing books out of our church library at Crisswell Bible Baptist Church and when I read this peticular book I couldn't help but think of your situation. I pray for you and Kevin all the time. Our church and youth group kids continue to pray for you, also. I couldn't imagine having to deal with all the everyday things that you have to deal with. Your whole life has been turned upside down. Well, when I read this book, I knew I had to get you a copy because I sure hope it would be an encouragement to you. It was an encouragement even to me and the blessing from God that I take for granted every day. Well, I hope you enjoy.
Take Care,
Debbie (Carnahan) Beham

Long-time RN said...

Ya, it sucks. How disheartening for Kevin to have come so far and then this setback. ((Hugs)) your way and prayers for loads of strength for the weeks ahead.