Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 581 - Dec 31, 2009

Happy New Year! I trust everyone had a great (and safe) night!

Today we spent quite a few hours at the VA hospital trying to figure out what is causing the pain. Kevin had to get an IV and have a contrast CT scan and it showed he has a small amount of fluid buildup, but we don't think it's causing the pain. I did ask and the fluid is on top of the plate, which is a good thing (I think).

We also had Infectious Disease take a look at the spot on his head and the doctor has no idea what it is. In the last few days it has formed a crust on top of it, so I am considering seeing a dermatologist. I need to talk to Mary about whether that's the route to take or see a burn doctor or what.

In the interim, I have made appts with a new neurosurgeon, but it's not until Feb 10 and I have also made an appt with a neuropsychologist on Jan 29 to help with the depression and also hopefully with cognitive rehab. I look forward to seeing what these two new docs can do for us.

And after all of this, Kevin and I went for a bike ride tonight. It was a beautiful day here today and I am determined to get him exercising to help him tone up and lose some weight. And let's face it - it won't hurt me either, lol.

And now I need to get my macaroni salad made. I want to cook out tomorrow night and mac salad tastes so much better the next day...

6 comments:

Linda said...

Leslie,
Happy New Year to you and your family!! I sure hope you find out what is causing Kevins pain, and it is nothing serious. It is about time you guys get a break. Good luck with your new doctors! I hope this new year brings you nothing but health and happiness, and new strides in the right direction!

Jodi said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Here is hoping 2010 brings even more positive growth and success in all he does for Kevin!
BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and all the best for 2010!
A.

Cathy M said...

Hi and happy 2010!

I will be very interested in what the doc advises you about Kevin's cognitive development plan. I say plan because I really hope you get some general answers and then some specific assistance on how to help Kevin improve in this area going forward.

All my best and I hope that this year is SUPER for Kevin and you.

Hugs...

Long-time RN said...

Happy New Year!

Hope 2010 brings many grooves of progress and minimal turbulence.

Many blessings to you all.

Jessica said...

Happy New Year! Kevin certainly has made some real progress with his speech and letting Parshall take him to therapy! My prayer is that he is soon speaking in complete sentences and becomes more and more independent. I'm also praying for your dad, for healing and strength.

I hope the dr's find the cause of Kevin's pain soon and that somebody figures out what that spot is. Dermatologists are very good at figuring that kind of thing out. Funny story, when I was in college I found this itchy lump on my scalp and went to see the campus dr. He said it was ringworm and got me some ointment. Time went by and it didn't go away so my mom took me to the dermatologist who took one look at it and just shook his head. It was just a big mole! Sheesh. Mom then remembered that I'd had it since I was born, but had long forgotten about it. I never went back to that campus dr. again, who must have gotten his degree online or something. ;)

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.