Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 572 - Dec 22, 2009

First, I gotta tell you that Kevin truly did that scrapbook layout all by himself. He is just like his mama and REALLY anal about exact placements. As I was attaching the photos with glue dots, I didn't do it right and it took forever to get them exactly where he wanted them. It was kinda hilarious.

So I also have to tell you that Kevin said a whole slew of new words in the last few days. I was on the phone the other night (Hi Linda!) and he called me downstairs to say 'star'. He was watching Family Guy and the woman was putting the star on the tree. He just said it - without any teaching involved.

Today he came out with Pap (my dad), I love you, Pap (very hard for him to get words together that are a new combination), eat, cookie, Josh (my niece Chrissy's boyfriend), Dawn (my other sister), Kammerdiener (ok - so that doesn't sound exact, but it's way close enough, lol), lights and hold on. He is trying to repeat things often now and he is even singing as best he can whenever the radio is on and he knows the song. You should hear him sing 'Happy Birthday' - he does it so well! If I could ever find the cord to my video camera, I will take some videos. It's been so long, but I haven't seen it since we moved from the Fisher House.

We did have speech therapy yesterday too, but Kevin was really mad. I guess the therapist spent almost the whole time writing notes. He also talked real slow and Kevin feels he is talking down to him. The one thing I don't do is slow it down. We talk normal and I only emphasize words when he is struggling to learn them. I talked to the therapist after I had Kevin leave the room, and I talked to Kevin on the way home because I know it's how you teach stroke patients, so hopefully they can meet in the middle. I just don't want Kevin to get so mad that he won't go back, kwim?

And lastly, I want to thank everyone for the well wishes for my dad. It's just not good. He has the option of either doing nothing and allowing the cancer to take over, or having surgery knowing that the odds are better that he won't make it through either the surgery itself or the recovery. They don't feel he is healthy enough to handle it.

So it's a decision my father must make and we all need to accept whichever he chooses. I do have to say though that it will be a less rosy world without my dad in it - even if he does drive me nuts sometimes.

Ah well, I don't want to get all maudlin, I'm sure it will all work out...

5 comments:

AnnieB said...

Hi Leslie,

Glad to hear things are going better for Kevin, and my prayers are with your Dad and whatever he decides. Having been through that senario, too, I can relate very well. We are back in Ohio for Christmas with Mark and Jess. All my love and best for a wonderful Christmas. Know our prayers are with your family as you share it with your mom and dad. Love to you all.

Ann

Jami said...

Hey Leslie, I just wanted to let you know that I do read your blog almost everyday. You are a inspiration to many many people. I am happy to hear that Kevin is making leaps and bounds. I also want to let you know that my dad had cancer and you are going through the same thing we had to with my dad. He had to make the decision and we were ok with it. We were there to support him. It will be hard but if you keep in your heart this is what he wants you will be fine. My prayers are with you and your family. I also want to wish you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Love you, Jami

ruthieburke said...

Leslie--
It's such a joy to read of Kevin's added words. Seems like what you said a couple weeks back is true--that his brain is rewiring. I always read your blog first thing in the morning and pray for you all.

I'm so sorry for the hard stuff with your dad's illness. We have young friends that are waiting for a heart to transplant into their newborn. Their process has had them in such highs and lows. The life and death circumstances they live each day, and the emotions that go with them, remind me of your story. As hard as the lows are, they make the good days that much sweeter.

I pray you will see more good days than hard days as time passes. I pray your Christmas is filled with sweetness of family around you and the knowledge that the Lord loves each of you.

Blessings, Ruthie

Cathy M said...

I am so sorry about your dad. I went through the same thing with my sweet dad. No amount of words can ever help anyone in the face of such a sad inevitability, so I will simply send a warm hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie,

Is your brother working out in any way? Does he have a spinal cord injury?