Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 561 - Dec 11, 2009

Today we intended to go to the mall to exchange the jeans we bought Kevin a couple of weeks ago to yet the next size. They were too tight when we got them, we just never had the time to return them.

So we drove over and when it took us almost 20 minutes to drive a half mile around the mall, we just went home. There is no way we are going into that mess, lol.

Other than that, we did nothing today. It was kinda yucky here so it was one of those days to just stay in and veg. I took a long nap this evening - I have just been so tired - and I vaguely remember Kevin getting up and turning the lights off in the living room (where I was napping) and I think I even heard him whisper "I love you, Mom" which is just so dang cute, huh?

I am going to answer just a few more of the questions and then head to bed.

First, thanks to Ida and Long Time RN for the UV Block clothing suggestions. We already ordered a few Solumbra pieces a long time ago and the VA purchased a few items from Dick's Sporting Goods too, but Kevin won't wear any of it. It's been ok to start doing small doses of sunlight to start having his skin adjust to it, but we aren't usually outside for any length of time. We also use 65 spf sunblock too.

Tracey from PGH - I wish I knew how Kevin could handle listening to heavy metal, but in all honesty, he doesn't do it much. He still rarely listens to the music in the car, but he was able to handle the concert in SA? It doesn't make sense to me at all. The only thing is that the concert was outside and maybe that makes a difference? Sometimes sound in an enclosed area is just so much more enveloping.

(oh and Tracey - we got our decorations at Home Depot)

Mary - I thought about taking Kevin to see the concert (TSO), but I asked and he said 'no'. I'm glad now because all of the lights could have caused a seizure. It's one of the things we need to be careful of with the brain damage. Normal lights would be ok, but the strobe and lasers in a close space might be scary.

And I forgot to mention that Kevin has been saying some new words lately. He has learned:

One
Two
Fan

Those three are the fan and the speeds in which he wants it on. I don't allow him to use his fingers to tell me which speed - he has to say it.

Open
Shut
tree

He has been trying to pick up some new words a lot lately. Both Breezy and I tell him that that part of the brain must be reconnecting. One nice thing (and possibly helpful) is that he and Breezy probably talk at least an hour a day on the phone.

Ok - off to bed for me!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Good Morning,
Boy when you said Breezy was staying in Texas you think is this good or not. But it may be Gods plan in the big picture since he talks to her for an hour. Out of anyone she has the patience to talk to him. This may be the way he improves his speech. Hope your weekend is a good one.
Lorraine

Jessica said...

Talking to Breezy on the phone sounds like great speech therapy for Kevin! Each new word helps him reach his goal.

That is so sweet of Kevin to take care of you by turning off the lights while you were napping. I love the pics of him and the baby. She looks like she adores him!

I already let Gillian know to go ahead with the card making. The kids really enjoy it, too. Last year I wrote a little blurb about Kevin and what he has gone through for our country for her to read to the kids, so it means a lot more to them. They are in a VERY poor part of a rural area and several of them have family members in the service.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.