Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 565 - Dec 15, 2009

Well, it didn't work out. I was worried it wouldn't, but Kevin saw the commercial and wanted to come. I thought maybe...just maybe...but no go.

We got here and by the time we got all checked in he was overstimulated. So we rested for a while and then went over to the park. By the time we rode the very noisy bus and then stood in line to get the tickets, that was it. We came back to the room for a long time. At about 8pm, we attempted to go to the Christmas party, but you couldn't even move walking without hitting people so there was just no way with a wheelchair. He was angry because people were stepping on him and kicking him and hitting him so we just got back on the bus and went back to our resort and had dinner there. All total - we spent 15 minutes inside Disney World.

We were supposed to stay another night, but we are just going home tomorrow instead. No sense being here when we aren't going into the park.

So...no pictures.

I have to say that it is very disappointing. We are so close and I had such high hopes that he would do well and we would have a great time. The clerk (when I was returning my ticket because we never used it) told me that the deadest time to come is the last two weeks of November. I am going to keep that in the back of my mind and maybe next year we will try again.

8 comments:

Lisa D in Cali said...

Oh Leslie. I'm so sorry that it didn't work out. I was hoping for the both of you that it would be a great experience. I think it is great that Kevin wanted to go and that you guys gave it a try. Timing is everything, hopefully things will be better next time. Crowds can ruin Disney for the best of us. Bah.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you were disappointed.
At least you gave it a try. Next time might work out better.
A.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

What a true disappointment. As some of the younger generation says..."What a bummer!"

It might work out better for both of you if the timing is when most people are busy with other things.
Rumor is that right after school begins is a good time also.

If you get the chance to go again, Kevin is going to give you a hard time about going because of this experience.
So working on "how to survive crowds" might be a good thing to start soon. Now this one maybe a do it yourself type of therapy because no one has thought of it before. Good luck.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry too. It sounded like the perfect outing. I guess all the others thought that too.

Don't let it ruin this wonderful Christmas season. We wish you only the best of this blessed time of year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anita Williams
Arizona

Cathy M said...

Went to Disneyland here in Cali during the summer once and I swore never again! (Same thing for Yosemite during the summer - yikes). I went to DL in January and it was a whole different, and pleasant experience.

Kudos for your efforts, but I agree with Lisa D that crowds can ruin the most fun of places for many of us.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Leslie that it didn't work. I am so amazed at the progress Kevin HAS achieved and know that "living a normal life" is all you ask. I really think you are going to get close to normal, but as I look at your blog and it describes Day 565, I think about day 5 and day 100 and day 200 ...and know (1) there is definitely a God who has blessed you (and all of us) with great gifts and (2) with each passing day, Kevin has taken baby steps (and sometimes big steps both forward and backwards). The fact that you ATTEMPTED to do this is a great leap and a huge step in the direction you want to go. I took my kids there during July 4th a couple years ago and there were days I cried because of the crowds and the pure frustration of wanting to get so much done and spending most of the time standing in a line. Oh,well. It's all good Leslie. Keep on reaching for the stars, they get closer the longer you reach. Your stories and your total honesty on this blog keep many of us going. I know if you can deal with the terrible tragedy you have faced, I can deal with 13 hour days, kids age 16, 17, and 20and the bs that just goes with every day living. Give Kevin a hug from Ford City and remember you guys are in many peoples' thoughts and prayers.
Oh, how is your dad? you posted he was ill and have not updated. Hope all is good there.
Hallie

Long-time RN said...

So sorry to read things didn't work out. I can sure understand Kevin's reaction having been in the Disney crowds myself. Good for you and Kevin for giving it a try.

Anonymous said...

I would have left, too! I can't stand crowds and noise and getting pushed around . . . sorry, it didn't work out.