Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 555 - Dec 5, 2009

Princess is finally sleeping in Kevin's room! Thank goodness! Kevin is leaving his door open a couple of inches so that the animal can get out and so far, so good. I did discuss putting in the pet door and he liked that idea. Now I just need to find someone to do it. I need to find a handy-man anyway. There are so many things that need done.

And Kevin got his retirement flag in the mail today. I have to say that I think it should have been presented to him. I mean geez...they send his Purple Heart in the mail and now they send his flag too. Oh well, it's been like that since he got wounded so I shouldn't be surprised. Do you know that we have seen NO ONE from his unit since we came to FL? (with the exception of Rigney at the PH ceremony and he had to pay his own way from Germany!) Not one visitor from the 173rd. I think that's sad. Ah well...I guess it just doesn't matter now, does it?

So I did figure out why the country is so broke. It's paper. Yep. Good old mail from every government agency. I have been in our den for 4 hours now opening mail. I hadn't even gotten it all opened from all the previous trips and now I have the last two months added on to it. Let me tell ya though - NUMEROUS copies of the same letter from the VA, NUMEROUS copies of the same letter from the Army and NUMEROUS copies of the same letter and pamphlets on how to get a job from SSI/Disability. It is no wonder our debt is so high. Between the paper and the postage...unbelievable!

But anyway, I got about half of it done. There is just so much mail in there. A lot of it is just junk from when you buy a house, but you have to open all of it just in case.

And other than that we didn't do much today. We did go to Home Depot to look at Christmas decorations and there I was looking at the pretty angels and the deer lawn ornaments and Kevin spotted these penguins in a blimp and that was it - he had to have it! I sometimes forget that he isn't always 21 mentally because I am seeing the child less often, but then he goes nuts over children's decorations and it reminds me. So yes, we have penguins for our front yard, lol. If I can ever get them put together and placed outside, I will post a picture. I know Kevin will be one excited little boy/man. Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to see the penguins picture. :)
Glad to hear Princess is now welcome in Kevin's room.
A.

Anonymous said...

It just shows you there are still some good, kind and caring people left in this world like Mr. Rigney who came the whole way from Germany at his own expense just for Kevin's Purple Heart ceremony. All of the paper you told us about in the repetitive military mail sure would have saved a tree or two. Who would have known if you hadn't shared this info ? No one. A two thumbs up for Mr. Rigney for being the respectful man that he is.
It is nice to hear Princess and Kevin are making progress.

Anonymous said...

Think of it this way Leslie. It is job security for your postal carrier. LOL! He/She is probably happy to see that much mail coming through when nowadays alot of things are done over the computer and through cell phones or automatically through the banks! I'm so glad that Princess and Kevin are getting along so well.

Anonymous said...

I work for the US governemnt and just celebrated my 25tth anniversary. Much like Kevin, they sent my 25 year pin in the interdepartmental mail - didn't waste postage on it. I remember thinking. "How sad I have spent 25 years in the same department at the same hospital and nobody could have handed me my pin." This is exactly why few people are committed to anything. I have great rewards from my patients but can't say the agency gives me get rewards. How sad what our government has become. Our president wins the Nobel peace prize for ???? yet normal people dedicate years and / or their lives and get ????? Does not make sense to me.

Hopefully Kevin's unit thinks about him. Sometimes it's hard to face the reality of it all...
Hallie

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I am a little behind here with reading the posts. I just had to add my two cents to the "sending Kevin away" bit. I am an RN and I see many parents with disabled adult children who live at home and are being taken care of by their elderly parents. I think parents who do not attempt to make their adult children as independent as they can be are doing the adult child a huge disservice. Someday the parent is not going to be around. The adult child has lived at home all his life and was taken care of so when the parent dies they cannot begin to cope emotionally or independently because they were never given the chance. I applaud you Leslie for wanting to make your child as independent as possible and think this is a smart move on your part. Kevin has come so far physically and mentally - don't stop now!

Kim Sonksen said...

I am in shock about how Kevin got his Retirement Flag and PH sent in the mail...I am sorry but that behaviour is just disgusting.

So sorry that you guys have to go through this....