Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 557 - Dec 7, 2009

We didn't really do much today. Kevin and his aide Parshall are getting along really well now and I am able to run and do errands pretty much when I need to. He still gets upset when I am gone for long periods of time, but a half hour here or there seems to be ok. This is a baby step toward getting Kevin ready for the rehab center to teach him independence. It will be months yet before he is ready, but the time will come eventually.

And check this photo out:



Breezy met a really nice guy over Thanksgiving and they are 'dating' now. She seems very happy and I am so glad. He is a soldier from up at Ft Hood, but is discharging from the Army next summer. I do think he needs to move his hand a little further to the right though, don't you? LOL!

And here is a daytime photo of our outdoor decorations:



I couldn't get Kevin to stay outside long enough to get a photo with him in it. He is starting to walk again, but his ankle still hurts some and it's just too uneven in the yard for him to be standing long.

So I have a TON of comments/questions to answer and I want to get to a few tonight:

Jodi and Jessica - before I forget - Kevin LOVES his shot glasses! He shows everyone that comes to visit and they are displayed next to his bed on his night stand.

Mel Birdwell - HI! I didn't realize you were still reading! So you had asked if there had been any follow-up after my talk in DC and there was a little bit in the beginning, but when Kevin's surgery went awry, I wasn't really available. There was to be an opportunity for me to speak to the President's advisers, but I think the opportunity was lost due to us not being home for 2 months. It's a bummer, but that's the way it goes, I guess. I trust you and Brian are doing well?

To 10:10 (lol) - I tried a week or so ago to teach Kevin my phone number, but he just couldn't do it. I thought he knew his numbers because he can do addition and basic math, but when I told him to touch a certain number, he had no idea what the numbers were. We worked on it for a little while, but then he got disgusted and it became apparent to me that it wasn't going to work.

Jenna - thanks so much for letting me know about the caregiver's bill passing. For those that want to read about it, read the comment at 8:23am on Nov 25, 2009.

Denver - great idea about putting putty over the light on the smoke detector! Why didn't I think of that...

Alison - I do want to have Botox injected into Kevin's hand the next time he has surgery. I know he would have to go back to therapy once it's injected, but it would be worth it if the hand could stay open and not be clenched so tightly all the time.

And I think this is enough for tonight. I still have MANY more to do, but I'll get to them eventually. Just know that I read every single one and always take what is said into consideration.

You guys are like family by now, lol...

6 comments:

Alison said...

The penguins in the blimp are so cute. I love them! :D

Glad to hear you're able to get out and do errands here and there. Even that much 'alone time' must be very useful in getting things done. (Now to work up to an hour, so you can go get a massage!) Hope things continue to improve.

i. said...

Leslie,

Here's a site for 'contemporary' sunblock clothing I stumbled across today.

http://www.bloquv.com/

Tracey from Pgh. said...

HAHA! You are so funny, Leslie. The first thing I thought of when I saw Breezy's picture was where that guy's hand was. She looks happy though. The decorations look great! I'm looking for something like that, but can't seem to find anything.

Miss Em said...

Hi Leslie,

I with Alison...you should get a massage. The relaxed feeling is worth every moment.

Glad to see Kevin is still a "Kid At Heart". Penguins...just what Florida needs. ;)...lol
As for the picture with Kevin, get a board about 12" wide [or several depending on where in the yard he wants to walk to] and lay out a path. There are some things that are better and take up less space when not used. I try to check it out for you and send you the info.

Keep working on the time away and you'll be surprised how soon it will be before he lets you be gone for half of the day.

"Breezy met a really nice guy over Thanksgiving" and a damn fine looking one, too.
AHHHH, Leslie you can suggest where the hand should be but mite as well forget it because Breezy did NOT move it.
LOL,LOL...
MOMS... been there done that...
LOL

Be Sure To Take Time for yourself.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

PS...Your Mother is a Diamond in the Jewelry Box.

lorraine said...

To Breezy new friend watch it you have alot of Mothers out here pulling for her. You dont want us all coming down there.LOL I'm happy that she is happy. Nice decorations.

Long-time RN said...

Check out Solumbra clothing on line as well. They're a little pricey, but offer good protection.

Nice decorations!