Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 579 - Dec 29, 2009

Kevin and I are kinda fighting tonight. His eating habits are totally out of control. He weighs almost 180 pounds and I am putting him on a diet. He's not liking it though - not at all - but if I start slow I am hoping it won't be too bad. So after eating two burgers, 2 bowls of ice cream, 4 pop tarts and some peanut butter toast, he isn't allowed to have any more. He is so mad he just stomped to his room and slammed the door. I really hate to do this, but he is putting too much weight on way too fast. It's going to affect everything from his good leg not being able to carry his weight to his sugar level.

Looks like life is gonna be rough for a little bit.

Truthfully, we didn't really do much today. We only have therapy Mon and Wed this week, so I had planned to go to a movie and leave Kevin with his aide. Unfortunately, when I got to the theater the line was a mile long and there was nowhere to park so I just took a drive to an area I had never been before and then came back home. I just plain forgot the kids are all home from school this week so I will wait until next week. There are so many movies that I want to see right now, but my main goal is Avatar in 3D and I am determined to see it.

And that's pretty much it, so I guess I'll go and read some of my book. Before I do though - Tracey in PGH - no, I wasn't aware that a photo of Breezy and Kevin was in the Post-Gazette on Sunday. If it's the picture I think it is, it is my absolute favorite. Mike and Rebecca (reporter, photographer, from the PPG - such wonderful people!) just sent me some of the photos they had taken for the paper and there was an 8x10 of that photo in the pile. I just sat and cried when I opened the envelope and saw it. It's really such a bittersweet photo, huh? It really shows how much the two of them love each other, yet it also plainly shows how severe Kevin's injuries are. Mostly I don't see what he looks like anymore, but sometimes a photo shows it and it always comes as a shock to me. It's kinda like when (once in a while) I catch a glimpse of Kevin out of the corner of my eye and I gasp! I think "Oh my God! Look what happened to my son!" It's all I can do in those moments to hide what I am seeing/feeling. I usually run upstairs and just cry when I see the truth so boldly. Thank goodness I don't see it often, eh? I'd be a blubbering mess. And let's be honest - no matter how lucky Kevin is to be alive, he still had a horrific thing happen to him that has left scars, both physically and mentally, that will never go away.

The poor kid...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it sounds like he has such a great appetite! :) It's always good to see! Unfortunately it's also too bad that he's gaining more weight than you would like. It's good he's tall though. I'm sure he's a lot to handle too.
I hope you can see the movie soon! :)
Thank you for posting all the pictures you do! We sure enjoy seeing them!
It was neat to see all of you swimming! We had a blizzard Christmas week so no swimming here! haha
Also wanted to mention that Breezy looks so happy in the pictures too. I'm so glad she is enjoying TX! :) Also glad you were able to all be together for Christmas.
We continue to pray for all of you! Hope your dad is feeling good.
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Long-time RN said...

Sure hope food doesn't become a daily battle for you and Kevin. Does he understand your reasoning and explanations regarding his diet?

Good to read Kevin's ankle isn't giving him trouble.

Did the cat ever get named, or did I miss that in a previous post?

Take care, hope you get to see the movie.

Miss Em said...

Leslie,

Dieting is really going to be hard when it may be one of the "True" joys that Kevin has.

It might go better if you and Kevin can sit down with a dietitian to work up some type of food/calorie intake plan.
OR
The Both of you sitting down and deciding what foods he really likes and then how much on what days. This way he is able to pick out what he wants and assist in how it is prepared and maybe learning a bit in the process.
You may even be able to do it this way....
Each meal will have something to do with the chosen food for the day... breakfast, lunch-soup and/or a sandwich and for diner-have it fixed special.

**Chicken day
**Beef day
**Pork day
**Fish day
**Pasta day
**All Veggie day
**Fun Food day [like pancakes or waffles, pizza, Ice Cream Sundays where Kevin get to pick out 3/4 toppins and etc.]
**Instead of a big cake--cup cakes portion are more controllable and much more fun to decorate just before eating..one after lunch and diner
Fruits..same way

These are all suggestions that mite workout if you can really get Kevin interested in doing it.

I know before now it was just trying to get the weight on and with Kevin's injuries getting the extra pounds off and then maintaining it is not that easy.

Sorry to hear that you did not get to see that movie..Avatar in 3D. That on my list of things to see also. Love Science Fiction.
If these types of movies keep coming out then it kind-a makes you wonder it the Tv's will be changing more too. Ugh! I can feel the hit to the bank account now and it may still be years away.

Take care of yourself and as we use to say when I was a kid...
"See you in the Funny Pages!" ;-)

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.