Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 580 - Dec 30, 2009

Kevin allowed Parshall to take him to therapy today - YAY! He had two therapies back to back so they were gone about 2 hours or so. Amazing!!! Parshall said it went really well and he was in a good mood when he got home so this may be a new pattern. Not every day, mind you, but it's a start.

And in even bigger news (can you imagine?!) - Kevin has been starting to say sentences. Today he started saying "shut the door" and "open the door". These are major things because it is VERY difficult for him to string words together. Now if we could just get him to understand the difference between open and shut it would make my job easier a couple of times a night. I don't know why, but he just can't comprehend the differences between the words open and shut and the words hot and cold.

So anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if he can talk somewhat well by this time next year. I sure hope so! This is the part that is most frustrating and devastating. Just not being able to be heard when you need to say something has to be so rough. And not being able to understand when someone is trying to tell you something is just as bad!

So that's about it for today. We did run to Lowes again because the handyman is going to install lights in the spare bedrooms as there are none and I also picked up some of the cat doors just so I can move the kitty litter to the garage. I have opted not to put one in Kevin's door because he has been leaving it open a crack and I prefer that than it being shut all the time.

Before I sign off - Long-Time RN - Kevin just decided to keep the cat named Princess. I don't think he has the cognitive ability to think up a new name. He really calls it Meow anyway, lol.

And I THINK he understands the reasoning behind the dieting, but he just doesn't care. He wants food and that's all there is to it, lol!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful that he went to therapy with Parshall! :) Also that he is putting words together. He just keeps improving all the time! It's almost like learning a new language. Words, then putting them together, etc. I agree about how he will probably be able to put a lot of sentences together in time.
Have a great day!
Kathy in IA

Lisa D in Cali said...

I just think it is so amazing how far he has come...how far you all have come. What wonderful news that he is going out with Parshall and starting to form sentences.

Happy New Year to you all...can't wait to see what amazing things Kevin does in the New year!

Lorraine said...

Happy New Year to you. I know you have alot emotional going on now not only worrying about Kev but now Breezy being away and Your Dad.
I pray the new year takes care of all your love ones. Happy New Year and Hope for the best for Kevin to steadly keep improving.
Love to all,
Lorraine and Rick