Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 566 - Dec 16, 2009

We are back home. We got here this afternoon. We didn't do much today. My family came down and I made a huge pan of lasagna and that's about it.

Before I forgot - Linda from the glass plant - can you email me your phone number? My email is lesliekamm@live.com

And Hallie - I agree that we are heading toward a more normal existence.

And I have to say that not for one minute do I ever forget what a miracle it is that we CAN even attempt to do things like go to Disney World. I will always have it in the back of my mind what he was like a year ago or even six months ago. Heck, three months ago I would have never thought to make any plans to go to a resort. Truthfully, he wouldn't have even thought of going himself a few months ago.

But he HAS come so far and we are getting there. I believe the day will come when we can go somewhere like this and have a good time. This was just the first try and I can pretty much guarantee it won't be the last.

And It really is amazing how far he has come. I know you guys don't have a 'clear' picture (mostly because you are only hearing a few parts of our day), but Kevin makes many decisions a day now and he rarely gets overstimulated anymore. It's mostly only extreme events - which is why I thought we might be able to do this Disney thing.

Talking about this just made me realize that I haven't seen the glazed look in Kevin's eyes in a long time. The one that says he is shutting down mentally. Yippee!

But, this is not to say that he doesn't still have confusing moments - he does. And he still struggles with directions and definitely with knowing objects. But when you compare him to a year ago - he is a whole new person. A true miracle!

And we are just going to keep cultivating that miracle. Who knows where it'll go, but I suspect so much more is in the works...

4 comments:

Cathy M said...

Bless you. Sometimes you just make me smile!

Hugs.....

Anonymous said...

You have the best attitude, Leslie! Here's to positive thoughts and prayers that 2010 will be an even more remarkable year!

Again, you are such an inspiration!

Tracey from Pgh. said...

Oops! I didn't get to put my name in above :)

Lisa D in Cali said...

I'm with Cathy M. This post makes me smile. Of course he is a miracle...and it is so wonderful that you can see all that he is and all that he can do rather than only the things that are difficult. It is a fine line to walk and you do it with grace. I can't help but believe that Kevin will continue to improve and inspire, because he is amazing...and because he has you.

By the way...tomorrow on the other side of the country (here in Cali) 20 first graders will hear a bit about Kevin and create some holiday wishes for him. I hope you will both enjoy knowing how many lives you are touch.