Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 459 - Aug 31, 2009

I talked to the hospital and Maxim today about the companion issue and the home health aide company (Maxim) is seeing if the VA will pay for something like this and if they do, they are going to find a suitable young man for the job.

(Dominique - Kevin is on MySpace and Facebook, but he can't read much and he can't spell or type anything yet. Breezy or I try to sit with him at least once a week and help him with it though. He does look at all of his friends' pictures on his own though and seems to really love that! Thanks!)

I also have some Army folks looking into a GPS tracking system that can be placed inside of Kevin's phone. He never goes anywhere without it so it fits the bill. I did do some research last night and as far as I can see (and I admit I may not be seeing far enough yet), but there is no option to insert a chip into a person (not that I'm saying I would, but I did look into it). What is being inserted is just an information chip of sorts - name, phone, etc. The nurse manager is also looking into a medical alert bracelet with all of Kevin's pertinent information to start with. And I called a security firm to get that set up, but they have not returned my call as of yet.

And it turns out that Kevin's CT scan came back fine. Yay! I can only hope that the next surgery helps with Kevin's pain issues. I think the nausea will be with us forever, but there is a small chance the pain could go away. I sure hope so...

6 comments:

Simpleswine said...

It is HIGHLY likely that his phone already has a GPS tracking ability... almost all major carriers offer a service called "child finder", or similar name.
It works in real time and is very accurate, it can be accessed from another cell, or a PC, or other internet device... usually the service is between 5.95 and 9.95 a month.
Sprint and verizon both have it, and I have used both reliably.

Simpleswine said...

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/family_locator.shtml

http://products.vzw.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_chaperone&lid=//global//features+and+downloads//maps+and+location+services//chaperone+family+locator

Sprint has changed the name to 'family locator, and Verizon is 'Chaperone'

Simpleswine said...

www.brickhousesecurity.com also has products like a wristwatch, as does wherify.

RFID is available, however, GPS is less invasive, and works better.
In an emergency situation, Law Enforcement can use the GPS to find just about any cell phone made today.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8142/rfid_tags_and_gps_personal_locators.html?cat=46

Anonymous said...

I added kevin both on myspace and facebook. I dont know if he will remember me but i graduated with him and went to school with him since 7th grade. We talked in class but never hung out outside of school, just so you know who i am. I wasnt aware that he had a myspace and a facebook until now. -casey

Jessica said...

The GPS locator on Kevin's phone sounds like a good solution for now, as well as a medical bracelet (if you can get him to wear it.) If he won't, what if you get special "dog tags" made with his information on it?

That would be wonderful if the VA would pay for a companion for Kevin. I'll be keeping these things in my prayers, including Kevin's pain and nausea. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Any fairly new cell phone, and he hasn't had his all that long, already has a GPS system in it. Check with your cell phone provider.

They work. There have been two occasions in the last week in Pittsburgh where someone has been held up on the street and their cell phone taken, and the muggers have been caught quickly via the GPS in the cell phone.