Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 454 - Aug 26, 2009

I am so excited tonight. I finally talked Kevin into a recumbent bike. Although he still hasn't realized it yet, I think the odds are slim that he is ever going to be able to ride a normal bike - mainly because of his balance issues. I can't remember if I mentioned that we did get the training wheels on the bike he bought, but he is so heavy that they bent when the bike leaned too far. (They are more geared toward 50 pound children - not 150 pounders.)

So I talked to our old therapist at the VA because I remember her saying months ago that the VA would purchase him a trike. In a million years I never thought he would accept something like that, but I more threw it as a go cart of sorts and he is so open to it. Matter of fact, he has called me into his room at least 4 times so far tonight to discuss the bike and his grin couldn't get any bigger. He is really excited!

Here is the website showing what these bikes are like:

Recumbent Bikes

I think we all have to admit that it really does look like fun. I keep telling him he's gonna have to fight me over who gets to ride it first, lol.

And today I did finally take Kevin to see a doctor. Miss Em - I never gave a thought at all to Swine Flu. Not one thought. But as soon as I read your post, it made sense that I needed to at least look into it. So I took him to a clinic here in Riverview and they did the swine flu test. We won't know for about 5 days, but the doctor did prescribe the meds just in case.

And I want to thank everyone for the votes of confidence on me going to DC. I admit that I am nervous about leaving Kevin for 3 days, but my nephew is going to come and visit that week and he will keep Kevin occupied doing 'guy' things. I did have the option of taking Kevin with me, but it's just too much of a whirlwind trip to have him go. He also would never be able to sit through something like that. And we can't forget that I come home on Thursday and we leave on Sunday for Texas for more surgery. It really is just best for him if he stays home and has fun with Anthony and Breezy.

And now I am going to quit for the night. Breezy just came down to talk about a job interview she has tomorrow. Wish her luck!

5 comments:

Jan said...

Good luck on the job Breezy!

That bike DOES look fun. I've never seen one. It truly looks like something anyone would enjoy, not necessarily for the handicapped at all. But...can Kevin be trusted with it...or will the daredevil side of him make an appearance? ;)

Tracey from Pittsburgh said...

Glad to hear all great news! Good luck Breezy with your interview!

Unknown said...

Go get 'em Breezy!!

And the bike looks to be loads of fun!!!

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

Those types of bikes are very popular in our area. That would be great if he liked it and used it. Post pictures if you get one!

Good luck in Washington DC. Here's your chance Les....make them hear you!!!! You and Kevin and Breezy and all the other families and their wounded soldiers need to be heard, and you are their voice. GO GET'EM!!! :-)

Good luck at the job interview Breezy!! Let us know what happens.

BIG HUGS AND ALL MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Jessica said...

I'd never seen a recumbent bike before but they look pretty slick! No wonder Kevin warmed up to the idea, they look pretty streamlined too, for speed. We know that's something he'll appreciate!! uh oh! lol!

That is so cool that you were asked to speak in Washington! You'll do great and will really open some eyes there to the plight of our soldiers. Maybe you'll even get to meet the president.

Hope everything goes well with Breezy's interview. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.