Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 443 - Aug 15, 2009

Kevin and I went tonight and bought a set of training wheels for his bike. He agreed to allow me to put them on so that he can go for a bike ride. Thankfully, we found his old helmet in our things so we are all set to go.

I have to make it a priority to get him out of his room and do things. He is very depressed and I just don't know how else to get him out of it. I called the doctor yesterday about increasing his anti-depressant, but that will take weeks to see any kind of change and I don't want to wait that long.

I do understand that he has to go through all of these feelings, all of the losses, but it always scares me some. I am just not trained in how to deal with this. I did spend some time the other day calling psychologists, but from what I am gathering we need a neuropsychologist. The few regular therapists that I called just weren't sure they would be able to help him due to the TBI.

So this week I will have to just get on the phone and find one. I'm not sure how we are going to fit another appointment into our week, but I guess I'll figure it out.

And it looks like I need to go hurricane shopping. Yikes! A little scared about the prospect, but there's nothing I can do but be prepared. A little trip to Sam's club tomorrow appears to be in order.

I need to get the garage cleaned out of boxes too so that I can actually pull the car in...

6 comments:

pommom said...

It is a hard thing to read about Kevin being depressed and knowing how it must affect you. I think it must be kind of a letdown after the whirlwind of activity that you guys have been through. I also think an emotional retreat is a pretty normal reaction, given this relatively "quiet" time. Not that there actually IS any quiet time...
I had an idea (not exactly brilliant but worth a shot maybe? ) Knowing how Kevin loves cheesecake, why not get him in the kitchen and have him help make one..from scratch! Cooking is great therapy..its math, cognitive thinking, fine motor skills and then the JOY of a cheesecake when finished : )
Sending a card tomorrow....as always, you are all in my prayers every day.
God bless.

Anonymous said...

Leslie tell Kevin that Tracy said the next time she comes I want to go bike riding lol. which means I gotta get my butt on a bike also. So he better be prepared and ready. I know he can do it with the training wheels he just needs to try. ok ok, I hear you, you know that already. but any way wish I could be there to help you through this difficult time. Hang in there I'm only a phone call away and two and half hours flight but I'm sorry I love you but will not drive again. LOL. talk with you soon. Love you all.

Tracy A. Jack

Catherine said...

You should see where Melody Ross from chatterbox took her husband for his TBI, from reading her blog is looks like they worked miracles for him.

Miss Em said...

Leslie

Hurricane Season...been there done those...alot younger tho.

Use grab-bags = meduim, large and x-large back packs. Once these have been packed..place in an easy to get to but out of the way place. Then its grab and get the HELL OUT OF DODGE.
Zip-lock bags...
1] all medicines with names on bags.
2] all items that are liquids.
3] all paper items--deeds, titles, all insurance policies, birth certificates, DD214, any and all receipts available, perscriptions, copy of Kevin's, your's and Breezy's medical files if you can get them, etc.

Good idea...
1] make a video of the entire inside of the home including clothing and jewlery. Then make one of the outside including all patio and pool area. If you don't own one...rent/borrow one for a couple of days.


Pack up...
1] clothing that no one doesn't mind not having handy for a few weeks.
2] Hygene items for everybody

Survival gear...
1] flashlight/extra batteries
2] bottled water..severl cases
3] pillows and light blankets
4] portable radio or NOAA radio/batteries

Now have Parents do same.

For more info google Hurricane supply lists. I did earlier and found one for NOAA which is the gov't site and one that has a printable list which makes it easier to gather supplies.

Don't forget you have to also Hurricane proof the house. Home Depot/Lowels/local lumber yard. The NOAA site had info on the how to for that.
*************
Now for the fun part.

Kevin is using training wheels. That's great!
The more that he can accompolish the stronger his ego and confidence gets.

Yelp. He needs to go through all of those feelings about all that he has loss. Also, the daily frustration that he has in not being able to talk or do the things he use to do on an everyday basis for himself.

Remember you've already got him through so much. You'll manage this also by simply following Mother's Instinct.
All of us out here know that you are Kevin's best medicine...
a Mother's Love and Belief.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.

Jessica said...

I'm surprised that Kevin went for the training wheels, but I'm so glad that he did. I hope the first ride goes well so he can enjoy some freedom and build confidence. And of course, get out of his room.

I'm praying that his doctors will find a way to help him with his depression, and for you as well, since you're the one who has to deal with the brunt of it. Take care. I'll be thinking of you and watching the hurricane reports. I always say a little prayer that they stay away from Tampa!

Catherine said...

Hey Les.....I emailed Melody and asked her to email you that information....I'll pray that she does!