Friday, October 31, 2008

Day 153 - Oct 31, 2008

Lots of little/big things today. First, Kevin began swallowing pills today. We didn't put one thing through his feeding tube at all today. He swallowed everything. This is big, because he is now off all feeds as well, due to the fact that he eats like a horse, so in a week or so, they will probably remove his tube.

Second, Kev was able to 'walk' his wheelchair all the way to the elevators. This is a considerable distance for someone in his situation and it is just showing us exactly how strong he is.

Kevin was also able to pull himself up 5 times into a standing position while on the standing frame this afternoon. That is the piece of equipment that I have pics of him standing with the other day. They actually pulled him up halfway and made him do the rest himself. From what I hear - he was even dancing while standing. I was in a meeting today, so I missed PT. I was so bummed! I should have given his therapist my camera...

Kevin also had an EGD (don't even ask what the letters stand for cause I couldn't even tell you. I know they took the tube down his throat as far as they could) and they don't see a 'true' reason for the vomiting. It is showing that his stomach is tilted slightly and I can only assume it's due to the scar tissue in his belly, but that's not causing the vomiting. I believe they are going to run a dye test next, but the doctor feels that the issue will resolve itself once the feeding tube is removed. I sure hope that's soon. That will be yet another huge step toward total recovery.

We have also eliminated the sitter from 4-12. I was so scared to leave tonight after Kevin went to sleep, but I forced myself to. I know it's a waste as we are at my place until usually 9-10pm and the sitter just sits and watches tv while we are gone, but it's just so scary to leave him alone - even while he is sleeping. I mean, what if he wakes up and is scared? We did teach him how to use the call button, but to be honest - I am not sure he understands when to push it. It's always easy for him to do something, it's just not always easy for him to understand why I am putting my trust with the nurses and I guess time will tell. He is just progressing so much.

We sure are lucky, huh? Who woulda thought I would ever say that? Today marks the 5 month mark and I really do feel lucky. I was afraid to even wish for his personality and it's there completely and that makes all of this ok. I can deal with everything else - homelessness, paralysis, everything - as long as we can still see that goofy smile and that mischievous twinkle in his eye.

Now y'all just need to remind me of this when I am having a 'down' day, ok? LOL!

4 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Everything has just been miracle thus far! I'm amazed constantly how far Kevin has come. I know it's because of a number of things... Prayer to the good Lord above... the selflessness, love,compassion and hard work you and Breezy have put in to getting Kevin through this, and Kevins Strengh and Determination. (and sense of humor).
That kid of your just amazes me!

Anonymous said...

Love you Leslie!

Anonymous said...

your special surprise will be there this week i hope you will like it
It took me awhile but i finished it with you being by his side made him stronger he is grateful for that
your friend Albie

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGD