Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 127 - Oct 5, 2008

Today was a very uneventful day. Kevin was in a decent mood, but not as good as yesterday. Today he just wanted to watch TV all day. I did make him get in the chair and go outside because I think it's important to get fresh air every day, but let me tell ya - he didn't want to.

I honestly think those days where he is carrying on and joking all day suck all his energy out. He is always very tired after one of those days.

And the poor thing just can't get comfortable tonight. I just had them give him some anti-agitation medication to get him to stop tossing and turning. Sometimes I can just put lotion all over his body (for his burns) and that will settle him down, but not tonight. It's just so hard to see him like that.

So Holee asked what it's like for Kev to get mail in his room and he actually gets mail already. They are very good at delivering it right to him. And he LOVES getting stuff. It probably breaks up his day, kwim?

And Holee - Breezy is at the game tonight and she doesn't even have her own Terrible Towel with her! She really got a kick out of your statement though.

Whitney - we do pick up our mail at the front desk of the hotel. Well...Breezy does, lol. And I can't really think of anything that would make things more comfortable. Thanks though!

Brenda - thank you so much for ordering those things for Kevin. I haven't even went to the website yet - there just hasn't been time. And mints sound yummy! I love those things!

Michele - on day 118, you mentioned about being able to understand your m-i-l when she only used the word "one" for everything after her stroke. I completely understand that! Although Kevin mostly only says "hi", we do understand nearly everything he is trying to say. It's in his inflection and his hand movements and sometimes even by the look on his face. I am glad we have gotten to this stage because it was so frustrating in the beginning when he had things to say and we just didn't understand.

And to Jodi - we are working on a family photo. We actually did take one last night, but Kevin grabbed the camera out of our hands to see it and it was the first time he has seen himself since the attack. He was very upset. The first thing he did was touch the left side of his head. We were trying to 'hide' that part with my face, but the beginning of the bulge was showing. And because we had all the lights on, the redness on his face was very bright (it is muted in all the pics taken with my phone). I just never thought about him wanting to see the pics as he hasn't before now, but again, I have to realize how different he is each and every day. And it's ok - because he is going to have to know what he looks like eventually anyway.

But now I just can't bring myself to post that photo. I need Kevin to be more comfortable with it before I can do it. And that will come with time and me taking more pictures. I can remember what I thought when I first saw him (and I do realize that was a lot worse than what it's like now), but it still has to be hard to see how different you really look from the last time you looked in a mirror.

Which adds another dimension to this ordeal - depression. We were lucky before as he hasn't seemed to have any of those symptoms, but seeing what he looks like could change all of that. I sure hope not, but rest assured - I will be on top of it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I'm Leslie from Canada. You were mentioning that Kevin says 'Hi', and the other person you spoke of said 'One'. When my dad was 37 he had a severe stroke. He had a roommate in the hospital who swore like a sailor. When my dad started to try to talk, the only word he could say was 'damn!' - and he said it over and over and over. lol My poor mom was mortified, and we were all shocked ...I had never heard my dad swear before. Dad eventually regained his speech to a great degree. But I remember weeks and weeks of that one word before he started learning some others (his stroke really effected the left side of his brain) ..... So Kevin's 'hi' is a good word to start with, compared to my dad's. lol
I pray for you and Kevin and Breezy every day.
Hugs,
Leslie

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog regularly and am so pleased with all of Kevin's progress. You are an awesome Mom, Leslie.

Gretchen said...

I had the exact same thought as Donna when I read this post - You're such a good mother, Les! Kevin is SO lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
Kevin's cd's are on their way. Our 19 y/o son made recommendations. He said they are screamo at it's best! They are coming from Amazon and I shipped them to the hotel. Hope he enjoys them and sorry for the mix-up at BAMC. You and Breezy are amazing we continue to pray for you, and are thrilled to see how Kevin has progressed so quickly since arriving in Florida.

Mel Birdwell

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie,
My name is Barbara, and I'm a paramedic. I've been reading your blog since my nephew, Jon Burke and his mom told me about it. Apparently Jon knows your son from the army.
I would like to recommend a book written by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD., called "My Stroke of Insight". She's a neuroanatomist (brain scientist) who had a massive left brain hemorrhage at a very young age, which left her paralyzed on the right side, unable to speak, read, or write. She had a nearly total recovery over a period of eight years, and wrote a book about how it felt to be trapped in that situation. She gives some wonderful insight on what helped, and what frustrated her, and what was not helpful at all. Very educational, as it varies somewhat from some of the more accepted medical ideas of what is going on inside the mind of a brain injured person. But who better to advise than a brain scientist who's been there?
I found it to be so helpful in learning to understand what my mom is going through, since she had a big CVA five years ago and is in that lonely, scary place.
Your son is young and strong. My heart believes he too will have a nearly total recovery eventually. He's made amazing progress in such a relatively short time. Good luck, and God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, It sounds like Kevin does get tired after a good day. He is probably trying to keep up with his Mom.(?) I was at a standby for a football game the other day and one of the girls at the game ask me if I was the Pam that wrote to you. She is a dear friend also and has had some of the tuff things that you have had to go through with her boy also. Her name is Brenda. What are some of yours and Breezys favorite things I need to send a care package. I miss ya honey. Take care love ya bunches Pam

Anonymous said...

Hope Kevin is well rested today. His body is probably pretty de-conditioned but the physical therapy should help that. I'll pray that he's able to retain that good attitude and not dwell on his changed appearance, although naturally, it's upsetting. He's a miracle and someday he'll be able to look back and understand that. Every post I read gives me the chills, the good kind, because I know I'm reading miracles every time!

It's great that you're able to understand his communication. Seeing you and Breezy in positive spirits has got to help him be positive as well. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!