Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 139 - Oct 17, 2008

Today was a different kind of day. Kev wasn't in a great mood, but he was ok. We did do something new today though and I think it was kinda scary for him.

PT actually ordered a new kind of wheelchair for him that is easier to maneuver and it can also go in a van or any wheelchair accessible vehicle. Currently the one we had was this HUGE, bulky thing that had no shocks and couldn't fit in any type of vehicle. The good thing about it though was that it would lay flat and we could just put a sheet under Kevin in his bed and 3 of us could lift him slightly and kinda slide him from his bed to the flat chair.

No can do with the new chair as it doesn't lay flat and we have to use a lifting device to slowly pick him up from the bed and suspend him in midair while we slide it/him across the room, with him just hanging in this harness type thing. Once we get above the chair, we lower him into it and remove the harness.

Let me tell you - it didn't go over very well. At first, I think it might have hurt his head to be jiggled around so much. But then I think he might have been scared. I did think, after a few minutes, that he was going to be fine with it, but I was wrong. We decided to try to walk to my house and once again, we got close, but then he started shaking really badly and we couldn't get him to calm down no matter what.

I just don't know what could be the reason. I realize that it was pretty much one of the only times he was truly outside. I mean outside with no roof over his head (we did keep an umbrella above his head due to his burns). Could it be he is afraid of the outside? I mean, let's face it - he was outside in the top of the truck when the attack happened. And other than the transports to the airports, he hasn't seen the sun in nearly 5 months. I know he doesn't remember the attack, but the subconscious has a way of making itself known.

Or could it be that he just hurt really badly from the bumps? Or did the lift petrify him because he was suspended in midair? Gosh, I just don't know. And who really knows...it could be something I am not even thinking of.

So hopefully he will be willing to do it again. If he doesn't - he won't ever be able to go on trips or even come to my house. He can continue to use the other chair to go downstairs and stuff like that - but that will be it. We can only hope as I would hate to see him so restricted, kwim?

I am going to finish up with a few questions and hopefully Kevin will be asleep by the time I am done so I can go home and go to bed.

Brenda - I sincerely hope you visit when you are down this way.

Barbara - Kevin used to be on Baclafin (sp) for his spasms. I am not sure what the new one is as it's a long name, but the Baclafin worked wonders. They only discontinued it because they didn't feel he needed it anymore.

Mary - you tell Clark to keep safe when he heads back to Iraq and it's nice to hear from you and your family!

To everyone from the Army that knows Kevin - thanks for correcting me on Ortiz's last name. I had written Cortez, even though I had a feeling it was wrong. He actually came by to visit Kevin today too. Kev just perks right up when he sees him. I love it! And y'all are right - Ortiz is a great guy and his wife is awesome too!

Karl - Kevin is an even bigger pain in the butt now. I'm afraid he is being quite spoiled, lol. Stay safe, buddy!

OK - he is snoring away so off to do laundry now. I forgot that I had to do that before going to bed. Aargh...

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Les,

I am not an expert, but give it time. Kevin may just need a little more time to adjust to being outside, so far away from the safety of his hospital room. And, he was in the new chair, and maybe he isn't as comfortable or feel as safe with it yet as he was the old one. He is a fighter. He will conquer this new fear as well. Stay positive and strong. Just keep reassuring him he is okay. You will all get thru this hurdle as you have all the other ones!!! I have faith in your amazing love for one another to get you thru this.

Healing and positive thoughts for Kevin.
Strength for Leslie and Breezy.
Safe thoughts for all military personnel.
Big hugs and all my love to all 3 of you!!!!!
Love ya!
Andrew's Aunt Jodi

Anonymous said...

Just a thought, as I'm no expert either, but could Kevin be over-stimulated from all the excitement of the day before and then to have to deal with moving into the wheelchair? (I was thinking of my niece when she was tiny and we loved to look at her and make her smile but after a while she seemed to fuss...from everyone trying to get her to do something.) Maybe Kevin needs a day in between to recuperate after those "action packed" days. (Anyway, just a thought) Thanks to Ortiz for coming to visit Kevin. He really made a difference didn't he? Hang in there ...its a long road, but your strides in the recovery process have been just amazing, both you and Kevin. I think of you and your family throughout the day, and always say a prayer.
Anita
Arizona

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh geezzz...just thinking of all he's been through.. and how scary it all must me just makes me feel so bad. Of course it all has to be scary.. so many things changing and coming at him so quickly. I cant even imagine.
I'm sure with time this will all get better.
Hope you get some rest friend!

Long-time RN said...

Hi,
I've been following your site for a while, (through Matt Wheeler).
Have to agree with other responders. Kevin may have had too much activity in a brief time frame and being outdoors may have triggered something as well. Did he have sunglasses on? The sunlight alone may have caused a reaction.

Keep positive. You will figure out what is going on, and it may be just a one time reaction. He is an amazing young man and your love and fortitude shine through.

Take care of yourself. Prayers for continued healing for Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Les,

Maybe instead of using a hoyer lift to lift Kev into the wheelchair, maybe suggest that they look into getting a "SLIPP Device" (here's a link for it)http://healthcare.marketlabinc.com/products/details/2467 I use them at work at Butler Ambulance, they are made out of a nylon material and have a gel inside of them. So whenever you pull it just rolls upon itself. It's hard to explain but you just have to have a lift sheet or pad under Kev, place the SLIPP under than and pull the sheet or pad. They are very easy to use to transfer someone from wheelchair/bed or bed/wheelchair. Many "homes" around the Butler area have them. And if you know what a slider board is, its the same concept but soft and able to do more. Or another idea for when to put him in the sling of the hoyer lift, as you are hooking up the plastic hooks onto the lift have Kev see if he can do it, and make it into a "game" and just check and make sure they are tight before using. Its easier for patients I've met to help with there transfers or care if allowed to then thinking they have no control. Hopefully this might help you.

Love you all,

Sara Forbes

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
When Brian was hospitalized for his burns this was how they moved him from his bed to the tank. Maybe Kevin is remembering that and associating the lift with cleaning his burns? Grasping at straws, but we'll be praying that he becomes more comfortable with it and that going outside gets easier. The outdoors was very overwhleming for Brian at first, he said it overstimulated him and he only wanted to be outside for short periods of time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Leslie, for the medication information for my mom. Now, about Kevin's anxiety when you take him out. I know Mom has some frontal damage to her brain which apparently has triggered some fairly significant OCD that she never had before. She gets very stressed sometimes when we go out because she seems to fear anyone bumping her wheelchair...gets very paranoid about it. Also, she indicates that she has extreme pain in her affected arm and leg when we take her wheelchair over any bumps, like thresholds, curbs, etc. It seems to cause her muscle spasms to increase. So maybe something like that is going on with your Kevin. It's so hard when they can't just say what's on their minds. Hang in there. Barbara

Anonymous said...

HI Leslie,
Kevin's progress is sooo amazing! Keeping him close in thought and prayer. Might take some getting used to, with the lift. My mom needs to be transfered via Hoyer lift as well. At first it was really scary for her (and us) to see her just swinging in mid air. But she eventually got used to it. And the anxiety about someone bumping into her w/c, yes, she is very worried about that, as someone had commented on. Afraid a little kid won't be watching where they're going and fall into her w/c.
I just reassure her she will be fine and no one will bump into her.
Nancy
Virginia Beach